Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: swap shop  (Read 2107 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
swap shop
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:54:28 pm »
Given our glut of damson, plum, pack choi and needing to cull more sheep than the freezer or us can cope with I wondered what we could do with the surplus. Family (friends) is not that large... I wondered how to go about swaping food stuffs. We live in a hamlet not village. Any thoughts about how and what to wtch out for?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: swap shop
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:50:57 pm »
we just ask folk.....and ask them to ask folk......we live in a hamlet too

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:52:23 pm »
you could find out who sells something locally you would like and see if they want to swap. For example I swapped some of my goose eggs and was given some jars of jams/preserves. And my OH did some free professional work for a local chap and altho we didnt want anything in return our farm gate mysteriously turned into a shiny new marvellous one from the old rusty dragging thing it had been :-)))

With the damsons and plums your local jam maker (who often make other things too) might well swap them for something tasty :-)). If you cant track them down try WI or farmers markets organisers for contacts?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:15:36 am »
I'm in Devon and open to swapping some pork or eggs for produce people might have.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:02:47 pm »
Have you a local LETS group  (Local Exchange & Trade System/Service??) where people do exactly that. I joined one in our area years ago, offering dog grooming & lifts by car, but only enquiries I got were when I wasn't available! In theory it's a great idea. You get a cheque book worth so many tokens & build up an account of tokens,. But it just seemd to fold up & disappear. Have just googled & there are some groups not far from me so might look into that myself. It's maybe worth a look for anyone with surplus, or a skill they could offer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS