Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: surplus produce  (Read 4012 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
surplus produce
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:27:16 am »
Just out of interest, who has surplus produce?
What do you do to market, sell or barter it?
:&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: surplus produce
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:23:32 pm »
if i get extra stuff, i normally give it away but then that is onlyto people wh havedne me favours in the pass couple of months so a sort of backwards barter

Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »
We sell surplus eggs to folk I work with. Surplus veg. we usually give away but I think there might be a similar market to the eggs.

We sell surplus pork - two weaners a year (so not competing with Tesco) - to friends. Same folk take it every year.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »
We sell our surplus eggs at the cottage gate, and they sell out every day! We cant get enough to keep everyone happy, I had a phone call this morning from a lady in the village who wanted to place a regular order. I had to tell her it could only be as regular as the hens keep  laying..........
Planning on also selling cut flowers from the garden at the gate this summer and also any surplus veg plants as I do seem to have bought far too many packets of seeds.
We 'did' 6 Geese just before xmas, giving some away to family, one for ourselves and one to a family whose husband had helped us a lot with our pigs, one to a chap that got hold of and delivered us 4 IBC water containers for us (free of charge).   :)
juliag

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:09:40 pm »
All surplus eggs get sold at work and like everyone else , cant keep up with demand!!! we normally put a table out the front for surplus fruit and veg asking people to put money through letter box in gate - usually v. honest , and last year we covered the price of all our seeds  :farmer:
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:45:46 pm »
We sell eggs locally, :chook: Veg  :squash: :spud: :brocolli:gets sold to neighbours and also at the farmers market.  We have regular customers ( same ones each year) who buy Beef :cow:, Mutton :sheep: and Pork :pig: off us.

What do we do with the surplus?    Well we eat it of course! ;D ;D ;D

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:12:27 pm »
Only selling eggs at gate - honesty box and they always put in more than I ask.  If veg go well (with Linz' help) may have surplus of them to sell too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »
yeap, always willing to help :)
my brain is full of information that need to be put to good use lol

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:16:28 pm »
Thanks for seeds, Linz.  Going to Aldi's tomorrow for mini propagators and compost to get started.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:42:32 am »
Surplus veg, rare, we give to pigs, surplus eggs not a problem, the nursing sows always get first go at the eggs, any left we have.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS