Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted- Burford brown hens  (Read 14078 times)

kieron83

• Joined Jul 2011
Wanted- Burford brown hens
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:07:08 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking for 4 Burford brown hens, I'm not to worried if there young as I'd like to see them grow before they start laying so long as there sexed I'm not fussed. I'm based in Leicestershire and would like them as close as possible but am willing to travel upto 50 miles or so.

Many thanks

Kieron

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Wanted- Burford brown hens
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:25:27 pm »
Hatching eggs 60 quid a dozen! Kinell they must be something special.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:52:23 pm »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:57:41 pm by Victorian Farmer »

kieron83

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:03:10 am »
I've just picked 4 hens up from mirrorbrook farm in Worcester, I asked the chap there and he said there a mix of French maran and I think he said orp, one of mine has a gold necklace like one of my black rocks so I'm thinking there could be a bit of that in it. All four look individual, I'll pop a picture up this afternoon.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »
did he have cock birds there when you bought youre 4 hens.

anoifsetay

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:46:35 pm »
You should be wary of anyone offering Burford Brown (or Cotswold Legbar) eggs or birds.  These names are the trademarked property of Clarence Court. 

The only known legitimate breeders of Burford Browns are Legbars of Broadway.  They created the breeds and retain the right to use the names, having sold the rights to Clarence Court, who supply table eggs to major outlets.

Legbars of Broadway don't sell hatching eggs or male birds.  So the only way you can have real Burfords would be to buy hens from them.  Of course, you can then use some other breed of cockerel to cover those hens, but the offspring will be "mongrels", not true Burfords, and should not be sold as such.

I dare say that rigorous selection of the best of their offspring, and the weeding out of birds showing too much of the cockerel's type, would eventually lead back to something very similar to a Burford - but you still could not legally call it a Burford Brown. 

The breed is generally believed to be substantially derived from French Marans (although it's exact makeup is a trade secret) so these, and perhaps the similar-looking Blackrock have sometimes been added by inscrupulous breeders.  But of course, that doesn't make the progeny Burford Browns.

I have bought hatching eggs on eBay from Mirrorbrook, and I am deeply disatisfied with the results.  The birds are now fully 8 months old, but very small, even allowing for their relative youth.  They vary considerably in build, plumage and comb.  But it is their eggs that are most disappointing.  Only one bird lays an egg that might pass as a Burford Brown egg - which should be very large, deep brown, smooth and glossy.  The rest of the hens are producing quite small, paler and matt eggs.  One produces an egg that reminds me very much of a small French or Cuckoo Maran egg.

I have complained, but Mirrorbrook refuse to accept that the breed name/type is trademarked and, at the time of writing have declined to deal with my complaints about the poor quality and inconsistency of the birds.

I recommend you approach Legbars of Broadway for your hens.  They have approved stockists, including one at Malvern, Newlands Poultry, who can supply you with true Burford Browns.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:58:27 am »
that said is right to the point .iv done both eggs and stock from both Mirrorbrook, he is a small holder with lots of stock and yes they are bureford brown but not true to type next legbars of broadway the stock ha vent changed from the 50 s so the birds are small and don't lay a lot every other day .i was so fed up with mine i sold at the sales .the black rock has gone the same way ,the best birds i have come a cross is these          http://www.johnstonspoultry.com/Sussex.html this will do Whit its said it will lay in 3 days and not stop even in winter iv just bought 100 they are sold over Scotland i will put list where to get . back to burrey ford brown its made of black copper marran and cuckoo marran and the gene bleeds that's the brown round the neck .next there are folk making these in France and importing them in the midlands iv been oferd some they feed cheaper than uk .And in york the black rock is being made i must admit its a better bird .    BUT very soon you will have utility birds bred from old stock £10 a hen sext also hatching eggs £10 for 12 eggs .im working round the clock on this but johstones will take some beating the birds i will use is am rock and utility roads very nice birds all the best .

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:34:46 am »
My father was interested in these until I looked on their website at prices  ::) .

Loves his hens but wouldn't dream of paying so much.

Anyone bought them from the actual place and been pleased with their purchase?

harepits

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:37:33 am »
I bought my Burford Browws from Philip Lee-Wolf at Legbars of Broadway, they are a little pricey but well worth the money. I have had them for over a year they are excellent layers, love foraging and are not flighty. Can sell all the spare eggs I have as prople like brown eggs. I too am in Leics and will be arranging to get some more birds, I could fetch some back for you if you want. Mary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS