Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mini Tractor V Quad Bike  (Read 29070 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Re: Mini Tractor V Quad Bike
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 02:52:28 pm »
Few more things to think about.

Quads tend to have lower ground pressure than tractors so are less likely to muck up the ground but the mower for a quad weighs an enormous amount as well as being expensive.

The land appears reasonably level so you probably don't need a quad to go from A to B unless you are carrying something.  Equally you can probably get away without 4WD.

Do you have a partner?  That isn't me being nosey but sometimes it is good for two to be able to travel to jobs at the same time.  When its chucking it down and cold its not fun for the one who is walking nor is it fun for the one who might have to wait at the other end.  If there might be two of you working at the other end would it be helpful to have say one brushcutting while the other loads a trailer?

If the budget will stretch to it then the perfect combination might be a tractor that suits the land (we have a Goldoni because our slopes are horrific and we have neither the room nor the funds for a big alpine) and a second hand quad that can be used to get to animals quickly, pull a trailer, deliver hay to animals and provide transport for a second person.  But a quad as the only workhorse is really limiting. 

You make some very valid points here..... yes I do have a partner (the wife  :love:) and as much as I would enjoy seeing her running behind the tractor (only kidding love) I think it would be nice and extremely handy to have a cheap quad as a run around.
The tractor does have to be 4WD as although the paddocks are relatively flat (only a slight gradient) I do have some very steep areas around the ponds. Our current Kuboto is 4WD and manages these areas all OK. Of course we are yet to experience our first winter here but I suspect you are correct re the connivence of nipping about on a quad to feed the animals. Thanks
Metal Detectorist

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »
we have a quad and to be honest, I dont know how we'd manage without it!

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 06:28:44 am »
we have a quad and to be honest, I dont know how we'd manage without it!

Yes I imagine we would be the same..... looks like I'll end up with a tractor and a quad bike  :farmer: life is great!!
Metal Detectorist

waterhouse

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 09:10:07 am »
Just to complicate things you might look at the Gator type vehicle.  It's a quad with more safety and weather protection and load-carrying ability.

I think you've got the message that there isn't one vehicle that does it all

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 09:18:32 am »
Just to complicate things you might look at the Gator type vehicle.  It's a quad with more safety and weather protection and load-carrying ability.

I think you've got the message that there isn't one vehicle that does it all

I think I better play the euro-millions tonight  :trophy:
Metal Detectorist

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 06:47:49 am »
Well guys having thought I had made my decision to go for the John Deere 3320 my local dealer has let me down on. Among other things the only way I could see one in the flesh 'so to speak' was for me to make a 300 mile round trip!
The dealer shall remain nameless.

Moving on, my local Kuboto dealer (and I will name them as it's all positive) Ravenhill in Elgin have provided to offer a first class service. Firstly taking a lot of time to explain all the available models and then once this was narrowed down tailored to my needs, they kindly brought a demo tractor to me, for me to try out on my own land. The tractor, a Kuboto B3030 with loader, bucket and 60" grass cutting deck was superb. Slightly bigger than my current Kuboto B2530 (25HP) with the B3030 being 30HP.

I am now looking forward to taking delivery in about 3 weeks.

Thanks for all the advice given during this thread.  :)
Metal Detectorist

waterhouse

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 01:10:12 am »
I would say good luck but kubotas don't run on luck, they just run, and run. Pity about the colour though...

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 10:00:04 am »
I would say good luck but kubotas don't run on luck, they just run, and run. Pity about the colour though...

Yeah..... I can live with the colour if it proves to be as reliable as my old one!  :)
Metal Detectorist

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 11:45:43 am »
Kubota every time, go for ever, tough as old boots and economical too.
Mandy  :pig:

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »
To everyone who gave me advice..... here she is  :) delivered on Monday!!
Thanks to you all. 

Metal Detectorist

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS