Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are everybodys partners as enthusiatic about smallholdings as you are ????  (Read 11111 times)

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
Could be a interesting debate -

I've grown  to love the lifestyle that i look forward to having  in my world over the forthcoming months and find the whole  thing exciting looking for land and what i want to do and the complete change of lifestyle. My ex  i have to thank for this  and sadly i will be doing this on my own and not  with her as i so much  hoped would be the case.

Does your partner show the same enthusiasm as you do for all things  muddy and self sufficiency ??

Is it just you that gets your hands dirty. ?

Any special jobs that need doing around the farm - allotment that your partner hates doing and you end up every time doing them ??
Wonder if this may become a interesting thread -

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Are everybodys partners as enthusiatic about smallholdings as you are ????
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:12:20 am »
My OH deals with her horse..I do the rest ;)..but thats fine..more fun for me.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »
My husband does the woodland etc, will help me with the animals if he has to, willingly helps with the large veg garden.....but the understanding is that the livestock is my interest, which is true, and not his. It is probable that this is because he is a veggie ;D

We both get filthy and generally are both outside sorts!

I don't think it works if you are totally different in your aspirations and come at life from different angles as its difficult to put up with muddy people, muddy kids, muddy dogs etc if you like beige carpets!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:06:44 pm »
Wish I had one - if only for the comfortable weary silences in the evenings after all the animals and crops have been attended to.
 :(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 12:26:58 pm »
My OH works long hours, so i feel guilty asking him to do anything with the animals/outside. He very rarely goes outside apart from to the car. I do have a useful neighbour who will help out with the heavy stuff but i don't want to bother him all the time.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :pig:
Thats the reason i love this site, its hard work doing it on your own and you want to tell some one whats gone on or ask advice and the OH only grunts, I've had some great advice from you lot, even just reading old posts is useful, make me realise I'm not the only mad one in the room!!!!!!!!!!  ??? ??? ???

OK maybe i am!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig: :farmer:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:31:39 pm »
my oh doesn't mind doing supper heavy jobs but only when i ask him, he wouldn't d it off his own back though. he wont let me have chickies  :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:49:44 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:47:47 pm »
Well, in Theory yes. I do all the time consuming jobs and my OH helps when there is some force needed. He has to be prompted , though. He organised getting the birds and left me to get on with looking after them. I don't really mind as long as I get his attention when some things need to be done in the garden I can't do myself. After all it was my dream since I was a teenager so long ago (read John Seymore's books) - so I get on with it! :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 12:51:31 pm »
i must admite i do most things myself but I forget myself and that i am not a superhero and can't lift stuff and end up hurtting myself !!!
So at the moment i am bad from liftting stuff lol

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 02:48:40 pm »
Its good to get a response there as  you all are replying so feel free to add to the discussion anyone please.

I am going to find it difficult doing all this on my own. I dont have a great knowledge. I am armed with the john seymour book and the grow your own veg  book and some epiosodes recorded on tv.

I will also find it so hard to uplift myself to do this as much as i want to as i have had  so much drive and ambition to change my life  and the driving force was so much to do all this with Nat . Its so much all she wants to do and is doing on her  own 4 acres she has been lucky to  get  and i so much wanted to be the behind the scenes person - getting on with all meand everything that was needed to be done without getting  in her way to do all that she will achive. I never ever thought i would be ever consider going through with a smallholding on my own but the determination is 100 per cent with  hopefully some  major encouragment  and help from you all.

Generally is everybody chilled out with what there doing. ??

I so much want a simple simple quiet life from now on - i want to be able to just wake up and be happy-not worry about anything .

Im sure im not far away without going into all the cashflow thing =i'm not rich but  can  achieve my goals  from my own  investment once ive managed to sell it . No mortgage so i can achive without borrowing just got to be patient. Very much want to move on tommorrow just cant - so frustrating

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:52:05 pm by lordlonk »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:57:14 pm »
Not worry? I worry about the sheep; I worry about the hens; I worry about why our dogs hate each other (see seperate post). Not worry? You must be joking! :)

Dan's role and mine have changed; I now do much more of the planning - Dan's idea of a good weekend (and mine) is for him to say that he's all mine for the day (this used to mean something quite different!!). I then deploy him to his "To do" list - mostly stuff I can't do myself. We kind of have "his" and "hers" although the demarcation can be breached!

The livestock is mine I suppose - I wanted it so it's my responsibility, but Dan does his share especially in the mornings if I'm getting Lorna ready for school and me ready for work.

It seems to work OK. Except Dan goes mad if I walk through the kitchen in dirty boots!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 03:05:09 pm »
I worry about why our dogs hate each other (see separate post). Not worry? You must be joking! :)

It seems to work OK. Except Dan goes mad if I walk through the kitchen in dirty boots!

I would too!  You should hear me screaming at Hester and Allez when they open the front door and come rushing in after being round to see the ducks - it's VERY muddy round there.

As for your girls, I think you have them pretty well under control - I've never seen them do more than a lip curl at each other. I can't let Hester anywhere near my other two girls, she'd eat them!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:10:23 pm »
Generally we're cool...We worry about other things now, the ducks, the predators, the cat, money, money, money, the weather, if we have enough time to do it all. But being out there a few steps away is such a pool of satisfaction, it's worth it.
Just keep going, lordlonk, keep reading, keep asking folks -  this forum's been tremendous help over the last few weeks (I feel so much less alone with it all), do it for yourself! :&>

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 03:22:26 pm »
cheers - Thanks so much - I know i will feel so good in the morning walking on to the land with a nice cup of tea -listening to just the sounds of the land -no cars - no nothing -just calm and relaxtion to  dowhat needs to be done -I may even ban myself the national news - maybe just a weekly review - but thanks again - i so much want the simple simple life  and to enjoy all over again ....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:49:47 am by lordlonk »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »
My OH takes over, its supposed to be my project as he works and cuts the wood.  He is as actively involved as I, and would be more so if I did not take a stand.  Which is really great.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 09:30:00 pm »
dreamy notions of keeping livestock are fine until its p****ng down with rain and feezing your nuts off then i find the difference between the people whos good idea it was in the first place and the mugs who have to do all the really dirty work, hope im not coming across as grumpy old men but can find it very frustrating sometimes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS