Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: YAY!!!! I am a goatkeeper!  (Read 6881 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: YAY!!!! I am a goatkeeper!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 04:24:41 pm »
The squatting action is fairly normal for a goat in strange surroundings !!

Tie her up short when milking... you are going to get a waving hind leg that will probably end up in the bucket, this is quite normal at this stage !!!!!!!
If it is 1 leg in particular... usually is... then slip a soft rope around the leg just above the hoof and secure it out behind.  Sounds awful but it isn't.  I usually tie up the left hind leg because I milk on the left side.

The let down time is around 10 mins... you just going to have to persist, particularly the person who can milk... this may become a battle of wills,  because leaving the milk is simply not an option.   Mastitis will follow.
DO NOT be harsh with the udder... this can cause internal bruising, which in turn will make the goat even less likely to co-operate !!  A firm massageing to bring the milk down from the top of the udder usually stimulates the release of milk.

This is one situation where the human must come out on top..... be herd leader.

The average BT will give around 1 gallon a day, after kidding., the milk figures you have been given at this time of year do sound rather on the low side.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 04:37:11 pm »
Are you putting feed in front of her while you milk?  The other option is to let her eat the feed, then start to milk, and (hopefully) she will  chew the cud, and let the milk down :)

Even if she is a awkward old madam, you should still be able to milk a bit off her - and then she will kick the bucket over and lose the bit you got ........thats goats for you!!

Keep at it, you need to get that milk out.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »
Hi Wytsend, when we first had goats we called in a goat keeping neighbour to show us how to trim feet, this guy had a commercial milk herd of about 200. he was horrified when he saw Gabi slicing an apple as a treat to give them while they were trimmed '' don't give apples to goats unless you want to dry them off '' is what he told us.
So we bowed to his greater knowledge and experience.   Perhaps there is less acid in the pulp! . confused.com?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 05:09:11 pm »
That info is an old wives tale !!   No merit in it whatsoever.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 07:00:54 pm »
well you all just wont believe what i am about to tell you....or maybe you will....

i phoned the chap that got us the goats today and he pretty mcuh said what you all had.....

then about an hour ago he phoned to say he'd made a terrible mistake and he had given us the wrong goat!!!!  no wonder the poor lass was not giving us any milk - she's never kidded!!!!!

and there was us messing around with her udders when she'd have no idea what was going on - i feel awful!

he is on his way down now with the 'proper' one.......white as opposed to brown and white!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 07:28:36 pm »
Only you Laura  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »
blimey!
is he genuine, or trying to con you?!

Ask him how they go about milking - e.g. our fist goat was obviously stantioned, she had a tough, hairless patch on the back of her neck and we took her on a collar and lead for milking.
her adopted daughter on the other hand absolutely refuses to wear a collar, despite 2 years of trying!   She will be milked only with food in a bright yellow bucket, maize included!   :)

each goat is different, and will be used to a different way 
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:46 pm »
Hi Egglady - I was just about to ask you where you got your goat from, and if she is registered (HB or similar), then you (or any BGS member could have helped out) could find out when she last kidded (and if any of her offspring was registered too). Also I would check her teeth - if she has lost any of her front teeth she will be older than 4, probably at least 6 years old (not too old to breed, but obviously a lot cheaper than a strapping 1st kidder).

Make sure this person milks the goats with you watching him and her!!! Also if he gave you the wrong goat - she was/is a goatling presumably?

I guess you won't divulge where you got her from?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »
All sorted!  and just a genuine mistake i believe - one of those days -poor bloke, he felt awful.

however, on the plus side, we got a lovely new goat, very full udders and we were both (me n hubby) instructed in goat milking...and now have a lovely full jug of very creamy, very fresh goats milk.

and the girlie without the milk has apprently never been in kid for some reason, so not sure about her.

and we had a good old natter too
so all's well that ends well

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »
 ::)

all's well that ends well, as our grandma's would say!   :goat:   :wave:
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 11:34:49 pm »
It wasn't your fault ....but, surely, the owner could see he had handed over the wrong one - they were different colours!!

Poor goat - I am just trying to imagine milking Poppy our goatling - she would definitely object in no uncertain terms.  But, she has the tiniest teats, and absolutely no udder, so it would be nigh on impossible to get any milk even if I tried!!!

Glad you got sorted in the end ;D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 06:50:08 am »
Egglady:  I assume you checked the eartag numbers are correct on the movement licence... that you now have the goat with the number detailed on the licence.

If not get it corrected FAST.   
Trading standards are increasing their spot checks & calling without the need to make an apoointment to make sure the right animals are where they are supposed to be.

I know it all sounds draconian but they have the right to do this and they certainly won't be impressed with 'they gave me the wrong goat.'

The other point here... was there 6 clear days between the first goats arriving and the changeover ?
When livestock come onto your premises, there is a legal requirement not to make another movement until 6 clear days have elapsed.
Also the changeover should have triggered another set of AML1 papers.

I hate all this paperwork, particularly stupid in this case thro' misunderstanding, but if any of the paper trail is incomplete, then Trading Standards will be on your back big time.

So check carefully the eartgag number of the milker does correspond with the Movement Licence.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »
Actually wytsend, egglady is in Scotland, and the movement restriction here is 13 days. I don't think that time will have passed, so techically the swap shouldn't have been made- however I can understand why you did egglady. Its something to remember for next time, and what's done is done now- you can't undo it, so don't panic about it.

If Trading Standards do make a spot check just be strictly honest with them.

Beth

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 06:11:41 am »
Blimey,  Scottish goatkeepers are really stuck then with much longer standstill times.

Hopefully trading standards will be sympathetic.... should check the right tag numbers are on the forms.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS