Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: YAY!!!! I am a goatkeeper!  (Read 6915 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
YAY!!!! I am a goatkeeper!
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »
well it wasnt quite how and when we expected, but sometimes you get about 30 seconds to say 'yes' or 'no' ....and we said 'yes'...YAY!

So 2 BT's are now down in their new house for a day or two while we all get used to each other.

Took them out for a walk and to stretch their legs and eat some grass earlier and they were good as gold.

only one of them is in milk but when we tried to milk her earlier, not a drop!  is this likley to be stress of moving and will she settle in a day or two or is she likely to have dried up with the stress?

any, and all advice welcomed ???

i think i am going to like being a goatkeeper :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: YAY!!!! I am a goatkeeper!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:29:36 pm »
I will be over through the week to meet them, I will give them a chance to settle in first. I think the no milk is totally stress related. I told you goats are addictive, enjoy  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:14:00 pm »
Congratulations! YOU WILL BECOME ADDICTED!

Have you got some of the food/hay she is used to with you from the seller? Give her a couple of days, but watch the udder.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:18:07 pm »
She doesn't know you and will be reluctant to let her milk down. Tomorrow, give her something nice and distracting to eat, make like a kid and 'butt her udder' with your fist and then see if you get anything.

Have you milked before? (polite way of asking if you know what to do  :-*)

Goats are definitely the business  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »
welcome to the mad, mad world of the goat-keeper!
give them time, and quiet affection... you'll be milking before you know it   :D
Little Blue

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 08:30:38 pm »
Well done egglady!  Hope you enjoy your goats as much as we enjoy ours.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:35:01 pm »
all the very best with your goats, pictures would be great  ;) :wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:50:49 pm »
thanks everybody, and yes, we have milked before - (some of us better at it than others!)

will try again in the morning

and sadly, no we dont have any of her previous food/hay, but we do have some willow so might tempt her with that in the morning

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:43 pm »
Congratulations on getting goats!!

Everything will be strange for your new goats .....they will soon get used to you, and their new home, and hopefully decide you are nice enough to allow you to have some of her milk too!!!

Has she kidded this year?  On the other hand, you are sure she has not been dried off, and is about to have a kid?!!!  Or, she could have kidded last year, and milked through, in which case, her milk yield will have dropped.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:43:43 am »
Roxy, I understand that she kidded a while back (forgot to ask exactly when), i know that she is now only producing 1-2 pints a day, but that was the reason we said yes as we thought it would be better for us as newbies than a whole load of milk we didnt know what to do with.

she definately isnt about to kid.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:11 am »
This is when you find out how secure your fences are!   Was she hand or machine milked? some of ours will only let the wife hand milk them . Don't feed them any apples as treats if you want milk, apple dries them off,

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 10:32:07 am »
Weyhey, welcome to the lovely world of goatkeeping.   Addiction now in progress  :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 10:36:21 am »
I'll look forward to meeting them  ;D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 12:22:07 pm »
Tizaala:  Never heard of apples drying up goats in milk !!!!   

So could you explain to me.. a goatkeeper of over 35 years... why do my goats increase their milk yield substantially when they get apple pulp ?   The same goes for brewers grains !!!

Fascinating !

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »
i love this forum.

ok so today we went down about an hour ago, my son who can milk really well and me who can get 4 drips if I'm lucky  :-[.

they are still locked in their shed so they get to know it's their home (out tonight).  We both had a go at milking, she kicked a wee bit to start but then stood nicely and a few times it was like she was hunkering down (as if to pee - but didnt).  Neither of us got a drop...... :-\

then we put them on ropes on their collars and took them out in the paddock.  they both did eat after a bit of walking around and looking at everything.

is there anything else i can do or try?  on i did massage her udder and it is soft, so presumably no hint of mastitis....hopefully anyway

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS