Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep - Ready to Lamb  (Read 8433 times)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
Sheep - Ready to Lamb
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:48:30 pm »
Help -

I've read the books, and looked through the forum but can anyone give me some pratical tips or signs that lambs may be arriving soon!
We bought 3 girls in lamb and they are expected to give birth around the end of February, but I am not sure about one, she seems a bit out of sorts and whingy, not normal for her.
I am a first timer !   

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Sheep - Ready to Lamb
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:54:47 pm »
How old is the one that is out of sorts and do you know what she is expecting? Look to see if her udders are swollen and even try for some milk, A sure sign with my Ryelands is when you can visably see everything dropping.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:55:10 am »
If they are due at the end of Feb, I would be worried that the ewe out of sorts could have pregnancy toxaemia. The timing is about right and with all this cold wet weather she may not having been getting enough nutrients to sustain rapid lamb growth. I would check her body score and give her some twin lamb drench to be on the safe side.

Early lambing signs include - a day or two before the vulva become very pink and slackens, also with my dark skinned ewes their udders become pinkish grey (not the usual black skin) and tighten, the teats drop and point more outwards than down . They may also start to look for a birthing site away from the flock. My lot choose the most odd places (if lambing outside), which include on top of a low wall !! and on top of a pile of bark chips !!

Happy lambing  ;D :sheep:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:31 am »
Thanks for your help, she seems much like her old self today, eating well and grazing.
Think I am just a bit worried as its my first time.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:55:19 am »
I would also drench daily with a bit of glucose/twin lamb formula and check body score and food amount. Twin lamb disease can be gradual in onset....this is why it can be easy to miss.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 03:28:25 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance - never owned anything bigger than a duck or chicken (apart from dogs & cats)  - what is 'bodyscore'?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »
Basically how much fat around there hip/back area.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 07:49:22 pm »
And how do you measure it?  I know how to judge dogs and their bodyfat and muscle but wouldn't haev aclue about pigs or sheep
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:51:41 pm »
There's stuff on the SEERAD site I think about condition scoring sheep. I'll have a look later.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:34 pm »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS