Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fuel mix for Stihl Brushcutter?  (Read 23088 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
fuel mix for Stihl Brushcutter?
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
I just bought a Stihl fs400 brushcutter, just wondered what the fuel mix ratio?  Is it the same for all Stihl equipment?  I read 50:1 somewhere but want to be sure.

Thanks

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: fuel mix for Stihl Brushcutter?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:11:18 pm »
one more thing, where can I get hold of the oil? what sort of places stock it?

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:23:17 pm »
Yep thats the mix we use - and we can get the oil from our local farm store which is Cornwall Farmers.

Good luck  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »
2 stroke oil can be purchased from your local petrol station :farmer:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 02:51:29 pm »
50:1 for my chainsaw - as far as I know they supply the same oil and use the same ratio for their brushcutters.

If you want to use genuine Stihl oil:
google stihl for local suppiers (most agri / gardening tool suppiers would stock oil).

Or put 'stihl oil' into ebay search and you will find a lot of suppliers have these 100ml sachets (to go into 5litre fuelcan):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STIHL-2-STROKE-OIL-100ML-X-10-BOX-/150537057769?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item230cb535e9

or big 1 litre bottles with a measure; or 5L cans for better value (PS make sure it's 2stroke and not chain oil  ;) ).

m

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »
And also make sure it's standard 2-stroke oil, and not the marine type for outboard engines, as I believe they're different.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:46 pm »
OH has just bought one of these and would like to know what diameter strimmer line to use?

Hope someone can help.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:49:44 am »
thanks for the help, check the model number for the appropriate line to use.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:35:30 am »
Girlsmum, tell your OH to get some 3mm line, this will go through anything and doesn't keep snapping off unless you hit a sharp object.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 01:49:51 am »
Its all about speed to a certain extent- if your coming upto a big bit of 'bush', lower the revs and slap that fucker down or you'll be on you knees trying to feed the shitty line through a mechanism that never makes sense all afternoon.

Alot of people forget that the trigger is actually a throttle, a strimmer is a tool.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:51:32 am »
Too much oil in the mix is never going to be a problem.

Do it by eye :)

manders

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Collessie
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 10:29:12 am »
Hi

Easiest thing to do is get 'one shot' 2 stroke - its a wee bottle that you tip into a 5 liter one that has the petrol in it. B&Q even sell it.... OR buy one and a bigger bottle of 2 stroke and just keep re-filling the wee bottle (Cheaper option).

I have the same model of stihl- the blade attachment is great for weed cutting inc Thistles and docks. If you PM me I can send you the service book. Also you need to replace the fuel pick up filter (its in the tank.... just pull it out through the filler...its on a long bit of tube) once per year of you could end up with fuel starvation.

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 03:51:19 pm »
These chaps are one of our clients: http://www.lawnmowingequipment.co.uk . they've still to build up their products on the Website and will do this over the winter. I've used them myself and they're excellent and can supply you what you need over the 'phone if it's not yet on the site.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 09:01:01 pm »
Thank you for my answers, sorry I haven't replied until now.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:07:05 am »
25:1 goes in my chainsaw, and I think the strimmer's the same, but 50:1 isn't uncommon.

Too much oil and you get smoky exhaust and the spark plug gets fouled up more often. Too little oil and you could have the engine sieze. Guess which is cheaper to sort out.

I just used ordinary motorbike 2-stroke oil in all of them: chainsaw/strimmer/scooter/outboard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS