Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly pigs  (Read 9088 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Poorly pigs
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 09:33:14 pm »
Would you like me to come over and have a look at her? I'm not a vet but I'm a very experienced doctor and a reasonably experienced pig-keeper? I could come on Monday or Tuesday.

pinkpiggies!

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 09:46:19 pm »
Not sure where in the borders you are but have you tried Armac Vets in Peebles?  They have a vet (sorry cant remember his name) but he knows a lot about pigs.  Definately worth a try.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »
Would you like me to come over and have a look at her? I'm not a vet but I'm a very experienced doctor and a reasonably experienced pig-keeper? I could come on Monday or Tuesday.
That would be really good, I don't want to keep her alive if she is not going to get better so the sooner the better Monday would be great if you can manage that. I will pm you with my address
Anne

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 12:57:10 am »
Has your vet ruled out mycoplasma arthritis? It's just that you mention she won't get up. MA is extremely debilitating and can be such a painful condition that pigs can't be asked to get up and about as normal, go off their food, and consequently start losing condition and strength. I've had a few with it and it's completely curable. There are two antibiotics that will sort it - lincomycin (Lincocin) and Tiamulin. The other antibiotics don't seem to touch it, but both of these will get them up on their legs within 24 hours. Worth talking to your vet about.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 07:42:18 am »
Has your vet ruled out mycoplasma arthritis? It's just that you mention she won't get up. MA is extremely debilitating and can be such a painful condition that pigs can't be asked to get up and about as normal, go off their food, and consequently start losing condition and strength. I've had a few with it and it's completely curable. There are two antibiotics that will sort it - lincomycin (Lincocin) and Tiamulin. The other antibiotics don't seem to touch it, but both of these will get them up on their legs within 24 hours. Worth talking to your vet about.
Thanks Tudful Tamworths am calling vet again this morning to suggest this.
Anne

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 11:47:34 am »

Vet has just been and put her to sleep. Still don't know what it was and probably never will. :pig: :'(
Anne

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 11:59:35 am »
Oh so sorry to hear that   :bouquet: :bouquet:  {{hugs}}
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 01:44:53 pm »
 :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: So sorry to hear.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 09:25:00 pm »
Just seen your news, so sad that she didn't make it  :bouquet:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 12:07:07 am »
Very sorry for your loss. Could you find out from the vet why she had to be euthanised? It would be interesting to know. And you, as the client, is entitled to know why the vet decided to put her down.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 12:15:32 pm »

Sad for you lose, but I pretty certain you will find that the problem was Menigitis.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS