Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to treat lamb with bad flystrike?  (Read 19896 times)

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
Re: how to treat lamb with bad flystrike?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 03:42:35 pm »
You've done just grand by the lamb. If the weather isn't too bad the mother and lamb will probably do better outside on the grass than inside felling couped up. The maggot oil is great stuf because not only does it sooth the skin but it also keeps the flys away. A good squirt of crovect will stop any reinfection. The stiff back legs is very likely due to the lamb feeling like its just slid dowm a tarmac road, bum first, at high apeed ;) Time, space and sunshine will do more good now than all the bottled preperations in the world!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »
Well done for sorting it out.

We had a bad case a couple of weeks ago.  We clipped all the wool off, used crovect to bring them out and kill them and then washed the wound, patted it dry and put wound powder on.  Then an antibiotic.  We also had Lucozade on standby in case he needed a boost :)

Any time i've had poorly sheep I've always found that injecting with calciject is like a miracle cure! This is Calcium in a glucose solution (always ask for the sheep variety because some of the cattle types have no glucose). If sheep won't eat offer tree ivy! I know it's poisonous but for some reason the sheep never eat too much but it seems to stimulate appetite and encorages them to eat properly.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 12:34:17 pm »
Ivy is astonishing.  I nearly had a fit when I saw one of my ewes who had had quite a difficult lambing munching on some but was advised to let her and she perked up very quickly.  Now I don't try to go round removing all I can find from round the barn and just let the ewes take what they want.

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 02:23:36 pm »
Lamb has now been separated from mum and has been out in field for over week with other lambs. she seems to be gaining strength. The massive scab on her back has now come off to reveal new pink healthy skin - just in case this is tempting for further fly strike I liberally coated it with maggot oil to deter flies. Stiffness in legs seems to have gone away. Whew! seems that she has a good chance of making a full recovery.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 03:31:51 pm »
Well done  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS