Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to treat lamb with bad flystrike?  (Read 19895 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
how to treat lamb with bad flystrike?
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:06:40 am »
We have a lamb badly affected with maggots. I've drenched the area with crovect which drew out loads of maggots through the wool. I flicked them off as they appeared. Eventually I could only see dead ones. I've clipped away the wool in the affected area. The poor lamb has a large red raw patch on its rump and is appearing weak and feeling sorry for itself. I've dosed it for worms In case that had made it susceptible to fly strike. Mum is still lactating so I've Kept both indoors tonight with water and concentrate. Tomorrow I'll get some maggot oil to treat the raw skin. What else should I do? I'm concerned that the lamb might be too weak and disinterested to feed inside. Would it be better off outside where it might graze? Any suggestions how to nurse the lamb back to strength would be appreciated.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: how to treat lamb with bad flystrike?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:35:20 am »
The first thing I would do now would be to give it a long-acting antibiotic - the raw area is an open wound through which infection can enter and a 'down' lamb can easily get pneumonia too.  Bad fly strike can cause sufficient shock to kill the lamb, so nurse it tenderly. The maggots also excrete a toxin.   I would keep them both in - dam and her lamb.  Is the lamb sucking?  If not you could feed it some lamb milk replacer through a syringe, slowly squirting some over the back of the tongue and giving plenty of time to swallow.  If the lamb isn't nursing then it wouldn't graze either and would be more vulnerable out in the field - if it's too weak to feed inside it certainly won't outside.  Treat it as a very sick animal and hopefully it will perk up in a couple of days
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:31:13 am »
SOUNDS LIKE YOUVE DONE THE BEST YOU CAN SO FAR,AGREE WITH FLEECEWIFE DEFINATLEY GET SOME ANTIBIOTIC INTO THE LITTLE ONE!.WE LOST A LITTLE ORPHAN LAMB YESTERDAY WHO CAME WITH MAGGOTS AND WE DIDNT NOTICE TIL DAY AFTER WHEN HE WAS QUIET,WE DID ALL THE ABOVE BUT VET RECKONED THE TOXIC SHOCK HAD ALLREADY KICKED IN BEFORE WE COULD DO ANYTHING TO HELP!!SOUND LIKE YOU GOT TO YOURS IN TIME THOUGH QAND AT LEAST MUM IS AROUND FOR COMFORT UNLIKE OURS(HE DID HAVE OTHER LAMBS!) FINGERS CROSSED FOR YOU ANYWAY .X.X.XX. :hshoe:
'can't rain all the time!'

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:50:43 am »
Fleecewife's advice is spot on as ever.
Good luck with him, sounds like you may have caught him in time (bloody maggots  >:()

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:19:01 am »
It is surprising how they usually do come right after a horrid strike - if you can get them through the first few days / a week.  Best of luck with him.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:22:15 am »
How is your lamb today Trefnantbach?  :sheep:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »
Yes - waiting to  hear progress  :)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »
It would be advisable to wash the open wound with a Savlon solution every day to keep it clean (just syringe in and let run off).There may be more maggots in him/her, I would clean clip a wide area to make sure, not just the actual spot you found them.

Then when it heals the skin will crack, I used udder cream to keep it soft last year (Had a bad case here too, but you wouldn't know now!).

Hope the little one comes right, it is surprising how often the flies attack in clean fleece and you will not see it until the lamb kind of gives in and behaves differently.... it made me feel very guilty last year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 01:02:21 pm »
Good advice Anke

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:28 pm »
Something that was recommended to me is to blue spray the entire area too; I had one that was looking massively sorry for herself but was right as rain the day after. Felt so guilty, even though I check them everyday but missed it as I'd never seen it  before. Certainly know what to look for now!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »
I use the blue Terramycin spray too  :)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 12:07:30 am »
The lamb made it through the night and although it is clearly poorly and feeling in a sorry state it seems marginally perkier today. I've given them hay, nuts and water and saw the lamb suckle a bit. My concern is that mum will dry up  and the lamb will go down hill, so I'll cut her some fresh grass tomorrow. I trimmed back the wool about 4cm beyond the wound and the crovect seems to have done its job - no evidence of live maggots today. I've poured on battles maggot oil today which it says deters further flystrike and soothes the skin promoting healing - It smells like teatree oil and I guess It will moisturise the damaged skin preventing it from cracking when it heals.  Thanks for everyones advice. I'll keep you informed

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 05:11:44 pm »
Well done for sorting it out.

We had a bad case a couple of weeks ago.  We clipped all the wool off, used crovect to bring them out and kill them and then washed the wound, patted it dry and put wound powder on.  Then an antibiotic.  We also had Lucozade on standby in case he needed a boost :)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 10:02:02 pm »
Clip, remove maggots, maggot oil, terramycin injection, vaseline for sore patch. Keep a watchful eye, don't be too hard on yourself. Chances of recovery - pretty good.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 11:25:51 pm »
lamb still with us. Got two shots of antibiotic to give it from vet and blue antibiotic spray. Also he advised a shot of invermectin to deal with any remaining deep seated maggots. Lamb seems to be coping but back legs seem stiff and weak - hope that this is not a sign of efffect of toxins.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS