Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: escaped rabbits! Taken advantage of?  (Read 17405 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
escaped rabbits! Taken advantage of?
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:19:15 pm »
We have two domestic rabbits that are kept in a two tier hutch at our home.  Unfortunately, last night the catch must not have been closed properly (think it was me  :() and they escaped.  Believe it or not, after 2 hours of searching and cajoling I managed to get them back home safely.  However, there were quite a lot of other rabbits hanging about - all of whom scampered as soon as they saw me; leaving mine looking at me wondering what I had done to scare off their buddies.  Is the probability of my two females having been taken advantage of quite high?  If so what is the liklihood of pregnancy?  If the chances are high I would be grateful for any advice on gestation period, separation etc.
Melanie x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: escaped rabbits! Taken advantage of?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
I would think fleas and other beasties are as likely! ::) ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »
I'd say pretty high!
Rabbits dont ovulate until they mate, ie they dont have a "season" until they've been at it like rabbits ;)
they gestate between 29 - 33 days, so this time next month could see the patter of tiny paws!

you could leave them together til about 25 - 28 days, they will strip fur from their dewlaps for nesting (my girls do this when theyre feeling abit hormonal, not always a sign of impending birth!)

and quite importantly ... keep that door catch on, rabbits can carry a second litter of a different age at the same time 
Little Blue

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »
Thanks very much for everyone's advice. I will defo keep the latch on - been out to check it 2 or 3 times tonight already!!  I'll keep you posted.  Little blue - I had no idea they could do such a thing - never intended bredding them, just pets.  I'll be more careful from now on and keep an eye on them - i take it I'll be able to tell if they are pregnant??
melanie x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:43:54 pm »
I didn't either... til the "buck" gave birth to litters a week or so apart!!
  I know so much better now! :D

you cant always tell that they are pregnant, No. 

they might "nest" (but see my other post) or become much more aggressive, eg if you go to pick them up as their time approches.
If they're outside, they might dig more, to make themselves a burrow.
they might look a little bigger, or get larger teats, but its not always easy to tell.

If/when they do kindle (give birth) do not handle the kits.  They'll be bald & helpless, and easly rejected/killed/eaten by mum if she feels threatened. Or if she feels the environment isn't suitable (including if she gets too hungry or thirsty)
  If she pushes them out of the nest, you're wasting your time trying to put them back, and hand rearing is difficult.

good luck,
Little Blue, and the rabbits!
Little Blue

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 01:39:40 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately, the rabbits got out again in the night and are nowhere to be seen.  Looks like there may have been a faulty catch on the hutch or something because I definitely didn't leave it open last night.  Now wondering how I'm going to break the news to the kids when they come home today  :( :( :( :( :bunny: :(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:28:39 pm »
Aw, sorry to hear that  :( 

check there's no holes too.
they may have found a way to "bump" the door, they're not daft!
Ours used to push up the floor of a double hutch, so the guinea pigs fell to the bottom, and the bunnies spent the night jumping from one floor to the other!

And dont feel too guilty, they are just answering the call of the wild - we lost an escapee not long ago too. 
Little Blue

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:15:33 pm »
Thanks little blue.  I think they were bumping the door until the catch moved and off they went.  I have seen them many times today and think one is still within 20 ft of the house but after spending hours trying to catch her she went under a trailer from the building site opposite us and hasn't come out but then it is piddling with rain so maybe she just doesn't wanna get wet!!  I keep trying but seen no sign for hours now.  Its an odd feeling though and they are NOT marked for living in the wild - white as white can be.  The local hunting birds will spot them miles away so even a glimpse to know they are still alive is welcome right now.   x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:22:31 pm »
Maybe you could try leaving food & water down in the hutch - they could return, especially if the weather is bad.  Just watch-out for your veggie plot  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »
do you have / can you get hold of a humane trap?
and set it near where you think they are... with their favourite treat
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 12:00:10 am »
Do you know anyone with a large fishing net - long handled? We once caught a wayward bunny with one of those. After chasing it all over my friend's garden! >:(  She had left the catch off  ::), gone on holiday, and I was feeding them.  Went down there and they had gone!"  One was under the hutch but the other was wily!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »
you could contact Cats protection as they have the sort of size of trap you would need which they use for catching feral moggies, they might be willing to lend it.

agree white rabbit in wild = lunch for something....

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 08:29:10 pm »
we have spotted munch, one of the bunnies again today - she is looking very scared but has managed to stay safe and dry by finding a little hole in the house being built next to us.  Not the best place for her and she won't really come out today because its raining but at least I know she's ok for now.  I will contact cats protection and find out about these traps because food isn't working.  No sign of the other one tho  :(

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:54 pm »
our 1st rabbit spent a good year loose in our garden until she was PTS thru old age. since wev bin up here, of the 3 escaped rabbits, 2 were killed by the dogs and 1 caught after many weeks of trying. fingers crossed. live fast, die young, i think!

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:25 am »
We now have both bunnies safe and sound within their hutch.  Who knows how many babies we might have coming though.  At least they are safe and sound.  Thanks to everyone for all your help.
Melanie x :love: :love: :bunny: :love: :bunny: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS