Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FENCING: What's the best way to keep sheep in a LARGE field?  (Read 9502 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: FENCING: What's the best way to keep sheep in a LARGE field?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:29:55 am »
you need proper fencing after all if they wander its down to you for any damage.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 11:50:49 am »
you need proper fencing......

Yup, more stock fencing would be great, but unfortunately not poss right now.   :-\

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 08:42:36 pm »
I agree that long term you are going to need to invest in proper sheep fencing, but I know how hard it can be to get around to sorting out fencing.

You could try using sheep flexinet on a temporary basis. Move the netting around the field to make temporary enclosures and move the sheep around the field bit by bit.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 10:24:22 am »
I agree that long term you are going to need to invest in proper sheep fencing, but I know how hard it can be to get around to sorting out fencing.

You could try using sheep flexinet on a temporary basis. Move the netting around the field to make temporary enclosures and move the sheep around the field bit by bit.

Keep your Flexinet well electrified, we turned ours off for a day and the rabbits chewed great gert holes in it! we also had a dead hedgehog, he got caught in the net and i presume had an electric shock. Our net was run off a mains fencer from a garden fence designed to keep out deer.

waterhouse

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 09:27:37 am »
If you also make sure the bottom wire is properly earthed then they will get a serious zap when they connect the two.  Respect for the wire is what keeps them in.

Reels of string tape or rope make the best temporary fences with a few intermediate posts at corners and a lot of poly posts to support the wire.   You dont need a lot of tension for rope or tape, a lot less than wire, and reels make it easy.

Look at Rappa fencing stuff.  Their steel posts go in and stay in but can easily be moved around.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS