Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FENCING: What's the best way to keep sheep in a LARGE field?  (Read 9501 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Fencing query here: We have a large field (over 10 acres) that we would like to move the sheep into. The field has hedgerow around it, but it obviously has loads of gaps - and also ditches. Part of it is adjacent to a very large pond.

Stock fencing is out of the question (because of the size and money it would take to do it all) - so what other options do we have for keeping the sheep in?

Strip grazing no good as we need it to stay 'in one piece' (also, when we've tried it they just barge through it). We've tried post and elec wire but the grass shorts it out quicker than you can say 'doh!' (I could spend all day out there strimming it back and still wouldn't get it all). Laying hedges is a long term project - and we need them in this summer.

Advice on how you do it please.

:sheep:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: FENCING: What's the best way to keep sheep in a LARGE field?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:41:19 am »
We use a lot of post and wire electric fencing and can do a very large area with it, have you tried just electifying the top two strands and leave the bottom one off.
Sometimes if they get a really good belt off it the first time they learn to respect the fence in the future. but watch the battery status the blighters know when its gone flat!
Other than that i suppose if you had enough hurdles; can you patch the holes with them?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:12:54 am »
Thanks for the reply feldar.

I've been giving this some thought for quite some time, and can only think of using post and wire (but thought I'd ask the question anyhow) - hadn't thought of leaving the bottom strand off the zapper though. What height do you suggest for each of the the 3 strands?

Hurdles not an option - to patch with those would cost more than the stock fencing (they'd almost be side by side).

:sheep:   :farmer:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:54:08 pm »
If you put in proper posts and wire, and replace with mesh in due course? We use proper sheep netting with top wire electrified on our 7.5 acre field, and yes it was quite a big cost to get it done....

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »
Depends on your breed i suppose, we put it up for the hampshires about 2 foot up (top strand give or take an inch)then average out the other strands and i have to say barefaced sheep are more likely to stay in, they don't always feel it if they've got a very wooly head!
Most of the time the deer take it down because they don't see it but if it's in front of a hedge you should be ok.
Good luck

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »
Decent sheep fencing costs.

Endov

:-\
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:39:11 pm »
How about getting someone in with a JCB and digging a series of ditches around the edge of the field?

If they're deep enough and wide enough they should stop the little bleaters getting out plus they'll help with the drainage.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 07:48:47 pm »
How about getting someone in with a JCB and digging a series of ditches around the edge of the field?

If they're deep enough and wide enough they should stop the little bleaters getting out plus they'll help with the drainage.

This is a VERY good idea if it works - some ditches already in place - how deep and how wide? Post/wire (how many strand) as well?

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:10 am »

This is a VERY good idea if it works - some ditches already in place - how deep and how wide? Post/wire (how many strand) as well?

3 strands will do it

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »
Bite the bullets and stock fence it - treat it as an investment - do 1500 odd ££££ now to do the whole ten acres and will see it right for many years to come.

Even if you do the job yourself and the fence wanderers along it own higgldy pigglety line like mine its always going to be cheaper in the long run than trying to fence it on the cheap with 'temp' fencing.

You land must border onto someone elses - have you considered asking your neighbours for half the costs? (trouble with hedges is that they normally need two lots of fencing on either side!?)

Baz

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:19:44 am »
We had the same problem but have no issues using this baby-

http://www.agrisellex.co.uk/hotshock-n50-2073-0.html

20 acres divided into 4 fields it has sat me on my rear numerous times  :D it is so powerfull that it kills vegetation no probs

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:24:08 am »
We had the same problem but have no issues using this baby-

http://www.agrisellex.co.uk/hotshock-n50-2073-0.html

20 acres divided into 4 fields it has sat me on my rear numerous times  :D it is so powerfull that it kills vegetation no probs

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 11:50:59 pm »

Blimey! That thing's a bit of a beast.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 07:01:07 pm »
Bite the bullets and stock fence it - treat it as an investment - do 1500 odd ££££ now to do the whole ten acres and will see it right for many years to come.

Even if you do the job yourself and the fence wanderers along it own higgldy pigglety line like mine its always going to be cheaper in the long run than trying to fence it on the cheap with 'temp' fencing.

You land must border onto someone elses - have you considered asking your neighbours for half the costs? (trouble with hedges is that they normally need two lots of fencing on either side!?)

As they say, 'Ask a silly question....'    ::)    Luv yer input bazzais, would love to but: Time. Money.
Ask neighbours to pay half? Ho ho ho!   :xmas:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:37 am »
I'm 5ft. tall and 61 but last year I divided a four acre field into three and didn't make a bad job....well it kept the sheep in anyway ::) I had to pay someone to put up gate posts and hang the gates It's hard work with just a sledge-hammer but do-able.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS