Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I made butter!  (Read 9870 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
I made butter!
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:12:54 am »
Well I made butter today, just in a jar.  I saved cream from two milkings and I shook it for about 5 minutes before it went thick.  I wasn't quite sure what to do then, I couldn't see that shaking was doing anything more and yet it just looked like very very thick cream.  So I shook some more and - very suddenly - the consistency changed and the lump all came together and cleared the glass.  Someone once told me I was looking for the consistency of scrambled eggs, and that's pretty much what it looked like.   But you could just tell it was butter now and the glass was clean.

I strained it and whey (buttermilk I suppose) came off.  I knew I should wash it in cold water and wash it again and again and again until the water ran clear, and then work it and work it and work it until all the water came out - but I couldn't wait and spread some on a scone.  Y.. U.. M..!!!   :yum:  Tasted absolutely perfect.  And - eat your hearts out all of you who don't have your own Jersey cow - it's as yellow as a buttercup!   :D  <- Very happy Sally!

And to top it all, BH was so impressed he made all our visitors try some.  (This from a farmer who - up until today - bought Lurpack spreadable because it tastes better than Country Life, even though Country Life is British and Lurpack is Danish.)

:D   :D <- Very very happy Sally!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: I made butter!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:27 am »
Well done - can't wait to have Shetland butter ;D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:31 am »
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing, you clever thing you!

Now I wanna do it - how large was the jar, how much cream did you put in there etc etc.....

:yum:

(Hey - do you think putting the jar on the top of the washing machine during the spin cycle might cut down on a few mins worth of shaking...   :D    :D   )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:25:54 am »
Thank you thank you. :bow: (I love this forum!  ;D)

I used a 340g marmalade jar about 1/3 full.  Very very thick (remember we are talking Jersey here) and it really did take less than 10 mins shaking in all.  5 mins to go into thick cream that you thought you couldn't shake any more and probably less than 20 more shakes for it to clear the jar and be butter.

I refrigerated the previous night's milk, skimmed the cream off (by hand with a spoon) in the morning and left it in the jar in the cool larder, left the morning's milk standing in the larder, skimmed it when the cream had risen and added it to the jar, then shook it straight away.

My thinking now is that everyone talks about washing it and working it to make it last longer, but maybe the less work way is to just make each day what you want for the next 24 hours - the 'off' flavour won't have time to develop, if yesterday's experience is anything to go by!

I suppose I should make extra, properly washed and worked, to freeze for when there's less creamy milk available, and/or when the ambient temperature is too cold or too hot to make butter. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:12:26 pm »
hurrah! well done you!

its on my "get round to it" list to make butter from our creamy goat's milk ... 
better get on with it then, and see if I can manage it  :)
Little Blue

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:43:56 pm »
Sally,
It sounds great and not really too much work at all.

Now where can I get some jersey cream from.............
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:44:35 pm »
i've made it using the kenwood as well - very quick and less work on the old joints  :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:12:33 pm »
egglady, which beater  do you recommend?!
just had a new Kenwood (insurance replacement - never could have paid for one otherwise!!)  and aren't really doing it justice....  :D
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 06:55:45 pm »
Excellent  ;D And well done for converting your BH!

My mum used to give us little pots of full fat milk that we'd shake to make butter like this as kids - sat on the swings shaking it - this was to keep us amused, I think kids had simpler tastes then  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »
Excellent  ;D And well done for converting your BH!

My mum used to give us little pots of full fat milk that we'd shake to make butter like this as kids - sat on the swings shaking it - this was to keep us amused, I think kids had simpler tastes then  :D

I've even had BH making it while he watches telly!

(You're right jaykay, we are obviously very easily amused!   ;D)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:35:29 pm »
egglady, which beater  do you recommend?!
just had a new Kenwood (insurance replacement - never could have paid for one otherwise!!)  and aren't really doing it justice....  :D
whichever one comes to hand!!  usually either the K beater or the whisk - whisk is quicker so you need to keep an eye!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »
now I've really no excuse, have I?!
Little Blue

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »
Well done - can't wait to have Shetland butter ;D
the locals im told produce a sour butter not sure what it is.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 08:21:59 pm »
Well done Sally - such and encouragement

DH says I can't get a cow until I retire as he's not going to milk it while I'm at work :'(

So I get a vicarious pleasure out of seeing all the goo dthings that will be in store for us when I get my cow.

Do you think a Jersey would survive in Wales?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
I luuurrrrvvvveeee homemade butter and I just make it with the electric whisk that I use for cake making.  Unfortunately, I don't yet have a milking animal here so I'm very jealous about your Jersey. 
Melanie x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS