Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wooden goat - marigold...  (Read 4933 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Wooden goat - marigold...
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:06:25 pm »
Between my lovely old dad and I we have constructed a wooden, life-sized goat with fully working udder!  I'll ad some pictures later on  ;)
I wanted to take something along that will a) draw potential customers to my soap stall and b) be an educational 'tool' for children and adults alike. 
So, each stall will now have a large table full of soaps, bath bombs and creamers but also marigold (the milking goat) and a small table and chairs with pictures of goats for children to colour in.
I am planning an A frame board with some bullet points about goats - now this is where I need your help  ;)

things like ...Did you know...a goat has only 1 udder
                                      a goat has 2 teats
                                      the average milking goat can produce in excess of *** pints of milk a day...
                                      drinking goats milk can help with eczema 

etc
what do you think?
any more 'information' that I could add would be gratefully received  ;D   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Wooden goat - marigold...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »
a goat has two teats ... but they're still called "quarters"  like cows!

how about some breed info - what's British (old English, the difference between British & Swiss Togs)
- what's rare (my lovely Bagot!)
better still, get your goaty friends (!) to send you photos rather than getting stock photos off t'internet - its much more "personal" and memorable for the public to see a goat with a name.

other products - ice cream, butter, kafir, Angora stuff: socks etc, meat

could you get hold of some Angora hair, so they could feel it? or even get a selection (shave bits off Reggie!) to compare.

number of goat keepers in Britain / the world

something to dispel the myths that goats are: smelly, noisy, escape, eat everything  (oh, hang on a minute.... most of that is, to some degree, true!!)

will post again if I think of more.
I've been thinking of doing something similar (the milking model) and goaty facts talk for school ....   So I'll share my ideas so you dont think I've copied your Marigold!    :D
Little Blue

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:39:04 pm »
Having been talking to the public at the Royal Highland rather a lot recently, I keep getting asked " what is the difference between a sheep and a goat".  Well, what IS the difference?  I don't know if it is relevant to your stand, but you have certainly just given me an extra difference - only one udder (but with two quarters  :D :D)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 08:16:50 pm »
Im loving your marigold idea it great, good luck with it all  :wave:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »
Very inventive, sounds really fun, get the pics on here asap!  could you also make soap shaped goats?  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »
Good luck pics would be good
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:47:43 pm »
Whre do you get the time from.... to be that inventive!

Goat facts - only the boys smell, (actually btw have just been to the RHS and walking past the horsey bits, I found the horse smell a lot more annoying than the goats, incl the billies... but then I am not horsey...)

More people around the world eat goat meat/drink goatsmilk than any other meat...

Get the eczema (spelling?) fact in there!

Also on the BGS forum there was a recent thread about where the "goaty" taste comes from... (not all goats produce it, but one in a herd/batch of milk can ruin the whole lot) I can dig it out for you! My goatsmilk and cheese have never tasted goaty yet (unpasteurised)...

Cannot remember anything else just now.... bit tired and had a glass of wine... so brain (what brain??) a bit fuddled...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:17:28 am »
Faith - you named her!! I loved the idea, esp as she had a marigold for an udder LOL

Thanks for the pointers for the info board - I have found a lot of people who visit my stalls didn't know that you could drink goats milk, that the soap doesn't smell of goats cheese, that goats are loving pets and so on so thought it would be a good way to strike up conversation and not only spark people interests in these lovely animals but you never know, they might actually buy a bar of soap too  ;)

I'm going to get some pictures on today. Now, I am no artist so please ignore hte fact that Marigolds head looks a bit diddy compared to her ample belly hehe.  Scarlett, my youngest who is only 4 has 'milked' marigold and grandad was quite taken aback at how she sat and did it 2 handed. the feel of the glove is very authentic (ie, hands start to hurt after a few minutes lol) so its also good for the children to practise on and gain confidence before they milk my real nanny goats.

Because Scarlett has been starting her school inductions this month I found I needed to fill some extra gaps in my time (have been blubbing a lot about my baby 'going' to school) so this helped so much, Anke. honestly have been such a soppy mare about it all!! Also...last stall I did I made a grand profit of £1.95 because people didn't have anything to draw them to my soap stall - this way I am hoping children will drag them over  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:43:06 am »

here she is! must add that small child in background spotted mummy with camera so jumped on bike to get a piece of the action  ;)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:38:52 am »
Yes, she looks likes she's riding your goat side-saddled.  Very nice though, a great effort - looks ripe for kids writing something on (quiz or something?) or getting to do something if they drink some goats milk.  Actually, is it just me, but I actually like that 'goaty' smell / taste and would prefer products to have it, but then I like everything else about goats too. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »
Don't forget to tell e'm that the milk is more easily digested because the fat molecules are smaller and naturaly homogenised. and the difference between togenburg and british togenburg, and also the saarnen/ british saanen, also more closely related to deer than sheep

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:31 pm »
Wonderful, it will attract the attention of people, keep getting interrupted reading this but have  you asked people to pay to name her and the winner gets to name a goat and have a little pressie of your soap as long as you get enough to cover costs????? B %^& men, more demanding than children!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS