Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a Day!!!  (Read 4732 times)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
What a Day!!!
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:58:50 pm »
Well this is my first night at home since my girlies arrived from Wytsend they are beautiful!! photos soon!!  :love: :goat: :love:

This morning I let both of them out in their paddock after milking Jalaini (lots of fun, I'll have lovely skin the amount of milk its getting).About 8.30am a lorry of some sort came passed the field it was noisy really loud spooked her (everything is still strange to her)  and she went charging back into the shed knocking Juno flying (the kid)  she went with a bump and when she got up she was limping. Had a look at her and rang the vet straight away her leg was broken, she is now in pot up above the knee. I feel awful seeing her hobbling about :'( , she has to have her pot changed in 3 weeks and will be having lots of treats and cuddles in the mean time
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: What a Day!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
Not a great start to your new family what a shame. I am sure that the invalid will thoroughly enjoy all the attention and spoils.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:00:12 am »
Your first night at home?  Have you been camping in the goat shed? ;D

So sorry about what happened.  How unfortunate Jalaini ran into the little one, in her haste to get away from the nasty lorry.  I am sure Juno will soon be well again, and will manage to hobble around ok.

Wytsend told me your Jalaini is a sister to one of my kids -  think its Jinty.

You have two nice goats there - I had a look when Gordon brought my two.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 06:20:13 am »
Poor you. I hope she soon gets better  :)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:29:59 am »
Juno & Jinty are sisters.

Poor Juno.... Hatty, you may find the cast doesn't stay on for more than 2 weeks.  I had a similar accident with a kid who thought she could fly !!    The break was just below the knee fortunately.... looking at her one morning I realised 1 leg appeared longer than the other !   The cast absorbed the damp from the atmosphere & was softening. stretching etc and gradually slipping down her leg.

If this happens to you, don't panic.  By now the break will be stable but not mended.  I would measure the other leg now in preparation... find a suitable lightweight splint to cover the area, Vet might even help here, cotton wool to pad, cotton wool bandage wrap (Softban), further bandage, follow by Vetwrap.  You can then re splint without calling the Vet out.

It is always worth keeping a few various sizes of the lightweight shaped splints in your med. supplies.

Jalani does tend to charge around like a bull in a china shop when panicked.
Ring me any time.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:08:26 pm »
poor little Juno  .... theres nothing like making an impression on your vet as a goat-keeper!!

congratulations on making such an entrance into the mysterious worlds of goats!  ;)
can't wait for pictures, enjoy them. 
:)
Little Blue

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 11:06:28 pm »
Glad you got her sorted - my goat was at vet last night - kidded 10 days ago and now lethargic - vet says rumen has stopped working - is on all sorts of drenches, antibiotics, different foods to try and tempt her and now the other is scouring....!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:38:11 am »
Oh dear Cuckoo - do hope your goats perk up and get well soon.  Have you increased her feed because she has kidded.  I always feed a lot more fibre than hard feed (goat mix etc) in the form of hay or haylage.  Too much corn can cause problems.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:32:49 am »
Cuckoo:.... goats can get milk fever and the timing is about right !  A dose of calcium borogluconate would not go amiss.. the rumen stops working with milk fever as it does when other problems strike.
If a goat is 'off' after kidding then I always give some calcium boro' as it will ward off milk fever... which can be fatal.
The rumen can be kick statrted with some natural live yoghurt.... usually works better & quicker than any of the synthetic rumen concoctions.

Curiously the weather has not helped with scouring..   Been too dry for a long period, had rain and now the grass is incredibly rich again.... this in itself can cause scour.  Goats can react to the simplest of things!

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:04 pm »
Hi Wytsend,

I thought milk fever - she had some cal d (for dogs) as its all I had on Thursday and vet gave her some calcium by injection on friday night - she is eating all be it a little - barley straw, wont touch readigrass, will eat apple branches and brambles and tonight gave her ketol as still lying down and some bread with mollasses on.  She is still having pro rumen and penicillen from vet but will also drench her with some natural yoghurt.  Will be speaking to vet again in am.  Also will try and get some new cut hay or halyage??  Also planning to "acquire" some willows brances tomorrow as have sourced some.  Kid doing well though.

Other goat scouring has cleared up.

Have just sat down after a long day at work then needed to move goats to fields with more grass - 4 easy to load last four total nightmare - now nursing really bruised knees and grazed leg as tripped pver trailer getting her in.  In the end tied one in then rest followed - should have tried that first!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:50:30 am »
The best way for calcium borogluconate is injected under the skin... my guess would have been around 100mls over 4 or 5 sites.  If the right amount has been given then she should be up & standing, not still down.

A goat still down after 2 or 3 days with milk fever,  I afraid does have a good prognosis.  By this time there will be muscle damage which just complicates things too far.

Ask your Vet to give more calc today, possibly intra venous to get into the blood stream immediately... my concern now would be the amount of time that has passed.  It HAS ro be the cattle version.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:41:06 am »
Your first night at home?  Have you been camping in the goat shed? ;D

Not Quite but I have got a 3 man tent in the field  ;D ;D ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 02:21:26 pm »
Thats dedication for you ......hope the newbies appreciated it!!

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 11:45:37 pm »
Goat bit better today - standing up more and eating more too which is a relief

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 11:21:32 am »
Goat bit better today - standing up more and eating more too which is a relief

So glad she's feeling a bit better, fingers crossed for you both  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS