Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ill goat  (Read 9081 times)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Ill goat
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »
Sounds like a good plan.!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:56:47 pm »
As far as I am aware Cocci is mainly a disease of kids, especially if kept indoors. I have just had two of my younger kids having a couple of cycles of Cocci with the slightly older female kids in the neighbouring pen NOT showing any signs of the disease. The initial disease was probably caused by overeating on green stuff, causing diarrhoea, causing illnes and stress, then developing into cocci (as it returned about a week later).

It all depends on previous exposure, and if exposure is sudden or under  stress, when the animal cannot cope then disease occurs. If your adult girl had cocci it would be as a result of some stress possibly coupled with some digestive upset and/or worm burden. It will a) be difficult to establish for sure that that was it, as all goats shed the oocysts, and some can have a large burden without any signs of disease. b) treating with an anticocci medicine will deal with it in the meantime.

I have treated my kids with Intradine, which is an injectable drug and therefore can be dosed very well. Your vet may have to order that in especially, as it is not anymore specifically licensed for cocci. I have also used that very successful in lambs (not this year)

If you have cocci in your shed it may be worth to do a serious clean-out before kidding next year, and then keep it freshly strawed and clean for the first few weeks. I don't think that treating the adults prior to kidding as a prophylactic measure is necessary, as kids will need to be exposed to cocci in order to build up immunity. Only when mixing kids/lambs of different ages and the younger ones do not yet have the immunity will coccidiosis happen (or they encounter some unexpected stress factors).

According to my vet book, only one of the 12 cocci causing species is transmissable between sheep and goats, all others are goat specific, it is not transmitted to poultry, pets or others. Therefore treating all your livestock is not necessary. I would also not treat the rest of the goats unless they show any signs. Because they should be able to cope!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 05:28:13 pm »
HUGE RELIEF!!! Its NOT coccy. Its not worm burden. Seems that vannah might have some damp hay working its way through the system but Vet has done the checks and there are no indicators for worms or coccidiosis. He's also said not to be concerned about the lambs because we had a very dry April in WOrcs and every patch of mud in the world has coccy but its damp Aprils when they are diddy that can make them predisposed (I swear these lambs have cast iron guts!!)

so he is coming out tomorrow with anti inflammatory and antibiotics and to review her - just before school run, hubby cursing but I'll just do whatever it takes now to get my girl well again  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:18 pm »
Brilliant! Now you can relax. Phew!

Katie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »
I have stopped hoping that at least one month per year I will NOT have a vet's bill.... but as I do the finances in our house it can usually be managed (having said that I always discuss any vet stuff with OH, so that I have his agreement "in principle"). If it's not the goats, it will be some sheep stuff, or next month it will be the dog's turn for her vaccinations booster etc...

Hope your girl will be better by now, if you have a small livestock trailer you could possibly take her to the vet, rather than have call-out charges on top of the other fees...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »
Vet has been and seen savannah. she has been given buscopan and a sulphide drug. also a drench of antacid and other yummy stuff for every morning.  she has also had bloods taken for JOhne's just to be clear if there are any concerns there.
still on hay and water, still scours but fingers crossed
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »
 bless her, i hope that helps - Buscopan is great stuff (for me, can  only guess it will be as good for Savannah!!)
let us know how she goes on...

:wave: to you and  :-* to the goat!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS