Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ill goat  (Read 9082 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Ill goat
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:51:17 am »
My maiden milker developed scour a couple of days ago. Brown runny poo which turned to yellowy mucousy poo then blood stained mucous and watery stool (looked like urine)
spoke to vet on phone. all jabs/worming up to date (heptavac P'd etc)  so hay and water and close watching.
Yesterday she started to perk up a bit and I would say she is a good 75% better having gone from not wanting to stand/eat/drink to getting up and having a wander round the paddock and nibbling hay. However, she has still got some blood coming from her back passage. Only a tiny trickle

do you think this will clear up and is residue from severe scours? shall I make sure she has no access to the willow (I read that willow has natural aspirin and from human nursing I know aspirin can cause bleeding in the gut - wondering if that's the same with goats?)
any other ideas/help gratefully received
lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Ill goat
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:05:36 pm »
Is the blood fresh, ie red?

Coccidiosis can cause bloody scour. I don't know of much else that does in adults.

Aspirin causes stomach bleeding if anything and i think the blood would be degraded by the time it came out in the faeces, ie black rather than red. If indeed willow causes this problem, I think they might have to eat quite a bit to get an aspirin sort of dose?

When all else fails, ask Wytsend  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »
Thanks Jaykay - thinking about it, you are right it would be old blood rather than frank and fresh. its a teeny tiny trickel and not often so I'm keeping everything crossed that is going to be ok. the vet seemed ok with the bloody mucus when I told him and said it was because it was severe scour but if she poo'd I could catch about 20mls for stool sampling monday.
she is so much better in her self though I think
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:41:11 pm »
Very glad to hear she's feeling better  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »
Hope she is perking up again... trouble up here too... my heavy milker has just developed mastitis again... a week after I took her to a show and she did really well there, so now milk yield has fallen by over a ltr a day, she has also decided that the usual dairy nuts she eats don't taste the same anymore and we have toddler-like temper tantrums and flying feed bowls...but that's goats I guess....

Watch out for your wee milker, if it was something like cocci it may just come round again in about a week's time.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:08 pm »
Sorry about the mastitis  :-* -  and the tantrums  :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »
Can't offer any practical goat keeping advice  :-[
But I'm glad she's picking up and I'll keep sending the Reiki  ;)

Karen x

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »
Thank you so much Karen! I couldnt' believe the change in her, it was really sudden yesterday and my friend and I checked her first time she was lying down miserable. went back an hour later and she had her head out the shed door looking for us!! brilliant, so happy  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:56:06 pm »
bless her,  good wishes to Savanna!
Little Blue

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:21:22 am »
What you have described is classis Coccidiosis.

Give her a dose of Vecoxan or Baycox.  Not cheap but will cure it.  It does need treating because it does kill.

Unfortunately, once coccidiosis is on your land, it is there for good.  All kids need to be dosed whether they are showing signs or not.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 08:50:45 am »
That would mean any lambs as well, then, presumably?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 09:31:19 am »
THanks Wytsend - can I get vecoxan or baycox at farm stores or is it vet prescription only? have been disgarding all milk since she was ill anyway but out of interest, would it transfer to humans?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 09:37:44 am »
I think you can get Vecoxan at stores.. not sure, ... Baycox, which I believe is stronger is VET only. 
You need to dose today,  do not delay. 

You will need to do everybody... goats, sheep, cattle.. on your land.  It is a weight related drug but not precise to the last ounce.!!!

This is animal specific.

Usually the first signs of cocci  is a dead animal... you may be lucky.  But I do not like the sound of the blood.  It could also be caused by a huge worm load having damaged the gut despite regular worming.

My money is on cocci.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
vet currently doing urgent stool tests so will await results and treat accordingly.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 11:03:36 am »
one of the reasons I only worm when needed and not on a regular timetable is so that the animals cannot build up an immunity to the wormer it has been much more effective this way.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS