Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squirrel Wars  (Read 2917 times)

HappyHippy

Squirrel Wars
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:30:42 pm »
Hi everyone,

Don't know if any of you saw this on TV, I've just watched it and had to come & share.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/squirrel-wars-red-vs-grey
This article is also interesting:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/tv/todays-tv/2009/02/05/squirrel-wars-red-vs-grey-115875-21100395/

As a child I remember being taken to school by my Papa and in the winter we would always stop at a bridge on the way to watch the red squirrels feeding.  :D  Sadly no more - the greys have arrived.  :-\
I've never been a fan of greys but really thought no more about it til I saw the program - what an eye opener as to how quickly they move into an area and decimate the reds, as little as 2 weeks in some cases!!!  :'(
Surely we should be doing something about this ?  ??? Or is it too big a task to take on ?
What are your thoughts ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Squirrel Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:32:38 pm »
My friends shoot them if we see them when out training the dogs - and there's no close season either!  Only problem is the dogs aren't keen on retrieving them for some reason
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:45:53 pm »
On the program it was 1 man in Northumberland and over a set period of time he eradicated 1% of the estimated population. The project was backed by 1 man in the house of Lords (I think) and had to stop due to lack of funding.
So what I'm thinking is  ::).......
If we get 100 people to do the same as him, at the same time - then BINGO, no more greys and we can watch our very own little 'tuftys' flourish again !  ;D
On the point of the dogs retriving them - maybe they know that they're just vermin with diseases and don't much fancy the thought of having them in their mouths ? ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:31:36 pm »
Possible, but they don't like picking woodcock either - mind you we know the reason for that - most dogs don't like the smell/taste of their feathers.  No idea the reason for the greys though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS