Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Micro-pigs" - saga continues  (Read 16669 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
"Micro-pigs" - saga continues
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:39:30 pm »
Took 2 of the boys to Wishaw abbatoir this morning - very kind & gentle (with me & the pigs) even though they did have a bit of a joke about the 2 for 1 deal (ok Kunes aren't their most frequent visitors  :D ).

Anyway ... met a commercial pig man, who was very interested in the Kunes & went on to tell me about some "micro-pigs" ...

He'd been approached by a woman trying to GIVE him 2 "micro-pigs" last week (he'd not taken her up on the offer).  He said she was really upset & desperate to "get rid of the awful things".  They had both apparently grown "huge" (he reckoned nearly twice the size of my Kunes) & were trashing her garden.  She'd paid £400 each  :o for these "micro-pigs"  :o

I tried not to go into my usual rant (well had just a wee one  ;) ) & suggested that he told her to get in touch with the SPKA for assistance.

When will these money grabbers, who don't seem to give a d@m about the welfare of the animals they persist in breeding, ripping-off naive purchasers & causing endless misery, stop.  Aaargh!!!!
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

Re: "Micro-pigs" - saga continues
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:44 am »
I'm not really sure what the SPKA could do  :-\
I doubt anyone who's a member would be interested in taking them on.
This is what everyone who've been 'anti-micro' and trying to educate people were worried about  :( There will be many, many more cases I'm sure but unless anyone wants to start a micro sanctuary  ??? I doubt the RSPCA/SSPCA wil be able to re-home 'big' pigs and it's doubtfull that the breeders will take them back  >:( I fear there may be only one option  :yum:
But we'll discuss it next time we're all together and come up with a stratagy  ;)
Karen x

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:23 am »

You are right Karen there is only one option and if anyone out there has a micro pig which has grown HUGE, they can deliver it too me and I will

happily "look after it" as my freezer is a little low at the moment!!!!!  ;D  :yum:
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:56:05 am »
Just got my blood pressure down from last time  :D :D :D.  Can nothing be done about these people?  I think a united appeal to all the programmes on tv and radio to promote good common sense, no such thing as a micro pig.  I wonder whether HFW or Jimmie from Jimmies Farm could be prevailed upon to campaign against this.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:43:09 am »
there are a few factors with the micro mentality        going round the small agri shows in Scotland one thing sticks out   the public love small pigs a sow and litter will attract a bigger audience than  two gilts ready for slaughter       EVERYBODY WANTS ONE            the name suggests small and the buyers anticipate them staying small            WHY WOULD THAT NICE BREEDER TELL LIES AND ANYWAY FILM STARS HAVE THEM
so the public want them(the spoiled little child from charlie and the chocolate factory comes to mind) pigs are nice ,cute and intelligent   but they are there for meat no ifs buts or whatever about it
THE PRICE       if you are selling a car that is worth say £100    and some person comes along and offers £1000 are you going to refuse that generous offer   don't think so          now selling that £100 car for £1000  is different           trade description and all that crap     the same applies to selling livestock      there is a percentage of the public that will believe micros exist just as well as those that believe coronation street is real
there is no point in getting the blood pressure up the micro industry is here     and it is like journalism   once it is out it cant go back (just like toothpaste)
jimmy trades on his name         better getting his friend the pig expert he is far better
as far as eating them goes the owners wont agree to that    just imagine the outrage if some of the pigs mentioned on this forum were to be eaten        stopping there before my blood pressure gets up on other subjects :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:01:19 pm »
Just to add more horror to this thread ...

Got a call this morning on my mobile from someone (withheld number) who reckoned they'd got my number from our feed stockist (will really have to have a word with her  ::) ) asking about our small pigs & did we have any for sale - yes he had land, a CPH number & already had kunes before, still got the ark etc etc.  Sounded good so far ...

Well, told him we were expecting piglets next month, but we were possibly looking for a "pet home" for 2 small sisters - told him they were registered, had 2 piris BUT they were not to be used for breeding, so we would be withholding their papers.

HE OFFERED £500 FOR THEM!!!  :o ... panic set in - No way, they ain't going there methinks!  Apologised & told him that my partner had sold them without me knowing  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
Ah, but it's sooooo cute and dopey looking!

(come to think of it, I rather like the wee pig too!).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:06:31 pm »
  ;D ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
that is not a small pig    its head is as big as hers          NO I AM STOPPING THERE ;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »
 ;D ;D
bet there are a few men that would give her a new home!!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »
Oh - don't start me off on gender related comments, please  :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:00 pm »
The thing is - they are soooooooo cute and this photo shows that  :love: :pig: :love:
BUT so are all babies whether human, pig, cow, dog, even elephants but I wouldn't have one of them in the house  ::)
6 months down the line the once cute piglet becomes a problem pet and by a year you're looking at the best part of 100Kg of pig - how on earth can that sit on your lap for a cuddle  ??? That's assuming you've still got a house to sit in and it's not trashed ;)
I sit and cuddle my pigs (some of the smaller ones even climb onto my lap) but it's done IN A FIELD - WHERE PIGS BELONG ! It's just not fair to keep them in a house  :'(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:46 pm »
can I just add....
RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!

(that's my main reaction when I see or hear the term "Micro pig!") 
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:11:03 pm »
The thing is - they are soooooooo cute and this photo shows that  :love: :pig: :love:
BUT so are all babies whether human, pig, cow, dog, even elephants but I wouldn't have one of them in the house  ::)
6 months down the line the once cute piglet becomes a problem pet and by a year you're looking at the best part of 100Kg of pig - how on earth can that sit on your lap for a cuddle  ??? That's assuming you've still got a house to sit in and it's not trashed ;)
I sit and cuddle my pigs (some of the smaller ones even climb onto my lap) but it's done IN A FIELD - WHERE PIGS BELONG ! It's just not fair to keep them in a house  :'(

Hear,hear  :love: :pig: :love:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:12:29 pm »
can I just add....
RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!

(that's my main reaction when I see or hear the term "Micro pig!") 

Yep, me too LB - plus the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS