Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ARRGGHHHH!!!! Does anyone have a really big cork?!?!?  (Read 15914 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: ARRGGHHHH!!!! Does anyone have a really big cork?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 09:56:03 pm »

The OH does dote on the babies now  ;D Even though he has kittens when he thinks he might have to cope with it on his own.

The kids have been named, the pale girl is Karli, and the slightly darker one is Koffi (Swahili name meaning born on Friday). The wee boy is now no longer with us. His mouth wasn't developed quite right, and he couldn't suckle properly, therefore we have had to have him put out of his misery. It is a shame because a lady up the road from us would have taken him as a castrated male (she took 2 from us last year). Its not every year we can find homes for the spare males.

Mum (Kream) now has no babies with her, and she is heartily relieved. Although she is maternal, she just doesn't want to live with her babies the whole time, and would far rather be back to normal with a large bowl of food all to herself. Took the girls out to her this afternoon when the boy was taken away, and she really didn't want to know them.

Annie- course you can come and see them. I'm in tomorrow afternoon definitely because the kitchen man is coming at 1:30! But I'm also having Wednesday and Thursday next week off work to spend a bit of time with my babies (and to await the next ones, because Lonicera is due on Tuesday, and Surf on Thursday), plus there's also evenings- whenever you want. Drop me a pm or a mail.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 12:29:47 am »
Next week would be good for me.  I'll send you an email to arrange a time
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 08:00:54 pm »
Well what an afternoon we had! doganjo came over to see the kids, and when we were out in the shed looking at them, we noticed that Lonicera the British Toggenburg had started discharging so she had started to kid. We left her for 1/2 an hour whilst we had a cup of tea/coffee, but when we went back she still hadn't done anything. So, we prepared to go in, Annie stayed on to watch the birth (or so she thought).

My mum is a qualified vet and has kidded many, many goats over the years. So she cleaned herself up and got started. Lonicera hadn't dilated fully, and also her pelvis hadn't really slackened as much as it should have done. Also, the kid that was trying to come out was very big. So after about 1/2 an hour, mum still hadn't managed to get very far, and we had to concede defeat and call the vet. Who unfortunately was over at South Queensferry. We did have another try- both mum and myself, but neither of us had any more success. At this point Annie needed to head off, to get back to sort out dogs, ducks and chickens. We in the meantime had to wait on the vet, who was nearly an hour before he arrived.

He went to work, and took him about 20 minutes before he managed to get the kid into a decent position and then, finally out.

However, the kid wasn't breathing, so a bit of work had to be done to resuscitate it- including swinging it round (Alex wondered what the hell was happening) however it all worked and it was a girl!

It is one of the biggest kids I have seen for a long time. The baby has had a drink of milk, and is recovering from her traumatic birth. Mum is also recovering, I am just off out to get some more milk from her for the kid.

Beth

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:26:00 pm »
Congratulations! Glad mum and kid are doing fine.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 10:54:13 pm »
I'm sorry I missed the end result, but it was nearing rush hour and my brood start to raise Cain if they aren't fed on time.  The cockerel, Jamie, is the worst, then the ducks, and the dogs get going too.  I want to stay friendly with my neighbours so thought it best to come home.
It was very interesting watching Beth and her Mum getting 'stuck in' as you might say ;)  Ally and I kept out of the way apart from handing over towels, moving buckets of disinfectant out of the reach of the next door nanny, and putting the two baby kids back in their beds when they came to see what was going on.   I've had to resus a puppy before now but they are marginally easier to 'swing round' than a baby goat! ;D

Glad to hear the kid was a girl - I take it she was a singleton after all, we had thought there might be two in there.
Hope Lonicera recovers well - she went though a lto today!  A well deserved rest tonight for her :)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 07:27:24 am »
Congratulations to all, and hope the kid is thriving.

sandy

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 07:40:46 am »
Congratulations!!!!!fom one Big kid to another ;D

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:51 am »
Congratulations!! Glad to here they both made it through! Do you have anymore due, if so i hope they go a little easier for you!! are there any pic's?  ;D ;D ;D :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 01:35:39 pm »
Yes - I took a few with my phone while I was there. First the two 3 days old kids from Kream,  one of Big Daddy Goat, one of Ally and one of the other nannys, and lastly one of the white kid with Jess? or is it Tess? can't remember!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 01:38:38 pm by doganjo »

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 05:15:26 pm »
AAAWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRR!! They are sooooo sweet! I really miss my goats, they are such wonderful animals. Thanx for the pics.  ;D ;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 05:50:29 pm »
everytime i read that heading i think it says something else  :farmer: :farmer: ;D
Linz

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:00 pm »
Mum, Lonicera (the British Toggenburg) isn't doing so well, she is still suffering a bit from the hard time she had. Her baby, in comparsion is doing very well. We have another Anglo-Nubian due imminently (tomorrow) and a white one (who is nearly British Toggenburg- she needs to have brown and white babies!) who is due in 3 weeks. We also have one more who might be due in the beginning of May, she had various fertility problems, but we think she might have held now.

I have a couple of pics here as well.

These are the first two female AN kids on the day they were born last Friday.

Their mum Kream with her little boy. I lifted up one of wee girls to show her to Kream tonight, and Kream's reaction was to bite the wee one's ear! Kream definitely has no love left for her babies.

This is Lantana the BT kid a few minutes after being resuciated.

Her mum Lonicera.

And Lantana's first feed. Lonicera understandably wanted nothing to do with her baby after the trauma she had, so she was taken straight away.

My sister works as a playleader at the local playgroup, and this morning we took all three along to let the children see the baby goats. They were most impressed that Lantana wasn't even a day old yet. They were also most impressed by Karli doing lots of poo!

Beth
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:38:32 pm by ballingall »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS