Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and nettles  (Read 3795 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Pigs and nettles
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »
Hi all,

This may be a stupid question and i know pigs have thick skins but can they be stung by nettles? I noticed that Manda (the sow not the wife) had what looked like a rash or lots of small spots on her belly but as i started to panic i had a thought, 10 days ago i opened up a separate section of rough ground attached to her pen that had weeds and nettles so thick that you'd need a machete to get through! Now of course its been reduced to the few sour tasting weeds that the pigs always leave till last, i was wondering if this rash could be caused by the nettles and thistles.
The other 2 pigs are much darker in colour and i couldn't see much in the way of spots or a rash on them.

Thanks Rob
Rob & Manda :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Pigs and nettles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 04:54:28 pm »
Not stupid at all, yes they can be stung by nettles, especially when they are wee.  Have a look for other posts - it has been discussed before.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:08:39 am »
If its a severe rash apply a good rubbing of E45 cream (my all time favourite and it works) or you could always apply liberal tummy rubs with dock leaves.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:34:24 pm »
Hi,

Our pigs love to eat nettles! We have lots on our holding and every so often "tidy" them upby pulling them out and feeding them to the pigs.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:00:53 am »
I pull up nettles and hang them upside down in an airy shed to dry. All my animals and the poultry enjoy them crumbled up in their feed during the winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS