Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aquaponics  (Read 6010 times)

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
Aquaponics
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:12:25 am »
just wondered if any one on here has tried this, maybe on a small scale. what gear you use, what you grow and what fish you keep.

just an example video
The Urban Conversion and Aquaponics
kn

Sandy

Re: Aquaponics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
THats great, I wonder why its not done more often on large scale? It seems so ideal and the fish could also be a crop, some one could be self sefficiant so I wonder whats the down sides?

I know Hydropnics are often used to grow all sorts of erbs ;D
(I worked with the Nat Drug team for a while!) I had a giggle one day a few years ago when cash in the attic was raising money for some young lads who wanted stuff to start thier hydroponic  business, I don't think they were planning on getting loads of money from growing normal stuff and wondered if the TV ever realised, I may well have been wrong then but  ::)

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:56:01 pm »
hi sandy
im guessing the down side would be the set up cost for a large scale system, but on you tube im finding info on commercial set ups abroad but not really anything over here in the uk.
i just liked the look and idea of it so wondered if any one on here had tried it, it might be a project for the distant future for me, but definitely not just yet , far too much on at the mo.
kn

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:03:04 am »
Sounds great, I would love to try these things but alas, I spend my whole day cleaning a B&B but would rather be growing ANYTHING!!

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:41:56 am »
i can see one down side to this and thats what do you grow in it through the colder months of the year. as the fish rely on the plants and visa versa, im sure i will find other problems when/if i ever try it out.
kn

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:00 pm »
There is someone on here - well there was, but Carolinajim hasn't been active for a year or so....   let's hope he's okay.

Still his his thread and his website are both extremely interesting.

Olly  :wave:

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »
There was a small piece on RC a couple of years ago, they had water cress beds and trout tanks. 

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:59 pm »
thanks,
i wouldnt mind trying it on a really small scale
thanks for the links

Stephen Drummonsy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
There was a small piece on RC a couple of years ago, they had water cress beds and trout tanks. 

I saw this myself and what they are doing is using the cress beds as a filter for the trout tanks. This saves money because you don't have to spend so much on filters.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:54:27 pm »
Hi, just browsing and saw this thread and was obviously interested. Aquaponics is about to grow as fast in the uk as it has done in the us and Australia. We've be running AP systems for a number of yrs in the uk with great success hence the website. But if anyone needs info on AP in the uk feel free to drop me a line or visit the website - www.aquaponicworld.com
This is impressive stuff and am keen to help

Tried contacting this site using the sales addy' and it keeps failing.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »
i looked at the site and it looks like they only have one system available, shame really as i would like to try this out at some stage, i think it will be a home built set up though,
kn

ps it wont be soon

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »
Hi, just browsing and saw this thread and was obviously interested. Aquaponics is about to grow as fast in the uk as it has done in the us and Australia. We've be running AP systems for a number of yrs in the uk with great success hence the website. But if anyone needs info on AP in the uk feel free to drop me a line or visit the website - www.aquaponicworld.com
This is impressive stuff and am keen to help

Tried contacting this site using the sales addy' and it keeps failing.

Ian

It seems that this is a new venture, due to go live in August.

Good luck to you guys.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS