Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are these?  (Read 4767 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
What are these?
« on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:44 pm »
I planted a load of bulbs that I got from that Pound shop.  I put some in tis big pot.  They've all grown.  Can anyone tell me what any of them are?  Oh, and the red centred ones are not four leafed clovers - I wish they were! ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:33:44 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What are these?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:57:23 pm »
The bulbs look as if they may become dwarf gladioli.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:50:30 pm »
I think the tall spiky leaved ones might be but these are ALL bulbs.  The red centred leaves as well, and the pink flowered ones.  There were 5 different types and guess who left the cardboard label outside for a day or so - it is now unrecognisable let alone unreadable ::) ::) :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:31:53 am »
The red-centred ones are Oxalis.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:59 am »
Super, thanks, that's two of the five identified.  They are crammed into that big pot so presumably after flowering I'll have to move them and spread them out?  I'll try to get individual photos of each to see if we can gt the others identified too.

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 10:35:28 am »
Not sure but those tall ones look like montbretia, especialy if they came from £1 shop, I bought some seed this year and last year, they were suppose to be mixed but all were the same boaring flower, I think you had a few too Anne? One of the tall thicker ones could be Flag!!! you will have to see, what a nice suprise!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:39 pm »
I was very pleased as the all came up - but they aren't tall, so not sure about monbretia - it's quite tall isn't it?  These are all bulbs, not corms, and the bulbs were small, so I wouldn't expect large plants.  They were about the size of crocus bulbs and smaller.  I thought there were five differnt bulbs but it's only four.  Here are the pink flower ones and the last one that has loads of leaves but no flower spikes yet.  Perhaps they need more room to put up flowers?  So the read centred oens are oxalis, the tall spiky leaves may be gladioli or possibly monbretia or Irises?  Just these two to identify then.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »
I would have said montbrtetia for the darker thinner ones as well. They spread and can grow quite big , I dont know if a pot will contain them but mine grow up through the lawn yards away from the parent plants.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »
Well if they really are crocosmia I'll be very pleased - most of the bulbs were very small, but there were some corms, so you could be right.  I think the corm variety doesn't make clumps though - more individual.

The seeds I bought at the same tiome as you never appeared, Sandy :'(

I'm not convinced by oxalis now - it says on the RHS site that they are three leaved not four!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:54:12 pm by doganjo »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »
Oxalis tetraphylla

The pink flowers could be Oxalis too  :)

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »
Last year I put 2 big plastic tubs of mixed meadow flowers and got high purple ones that were nothing I knew and they did not look good due to them being so tall!!! I have loads of mixed meadow seedling comming up in troughs and pots, not sure where to put them now as my hanging baskets have gone mad too!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:58:52 pm »
Oxalis tetraphylla

The pink flowers could be Oxalis too  :)
Brilliant, that's exactly what they are.  The pink flowers are a different plant.  The ones I planted in the back garden have all been eaten - pesky pigeons I suspect - now where's my air rifle!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS