Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moving a broody  (Read 3428 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
moving a broody
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:32 am »
One of my RIR has gone broody and is sitting on a clutch of 6 eggs right in the spot where some of my other chickens like to lay - with the result that she is being laid on top of and keeps having the occasional egg added to her pile!  I'm not over happy with where she's laying either (not in her nest box, but on top of a pile of hay bales!) so, any top tips for moving her?  Should I just pick her up and move her to where I want her to sit? Never had broodys before, but our Favorelle has also gone so we're missing out on eggs too!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: moving a broody
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 03:17:44 pm »
We have a lot of broodies - and from my personal experience, this is what happens - if the hen is broody, but not sitting on any eggs, I can sometimes get away with moving her, because once she sees some eggs, she is delighted, and it takes her mind of her new residence I think.  If the eggs are already under the hen, thats a different matter - she has chosen to lay there, and if you move her, its likely she will pick herself up, and walk back to the place she picked.  She may not, but thats what usually happens here.

I can see your problem - adding eggs to the ones already there, is probably not a good idea, if she has been sitting a few days - otherwise the "new" ones will be behind in hatching.  Not a problem if she has just started sitting.

Suppose only way to find out is to carefully put eggs in new place, then move her, and see what happens.

Good luck!!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »
i got a broody pekin and  have had to kick her friend out to live with the big girls for a few weeks as she nicked some eggs and as i dont want the fertile eggs i put under her being nicked so i would of moved her but as she has sat a week already iv not tempting fate and losing my eggs to a gone off broody. IMO i would say depends how long she sat and weather you want  to break her

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:06 pm »
I just moved one f my broodies from a nesting box to a brooding pen

The easiest way that i do is cover her with a towel and move her in to a cat box or carrier tben move the eggs with all the straw ect to where you want her and shut her in for the night and she should have started sitting again  and wont want to move

Be careful she might peck you !!!!

Hehe hope this helps
 :cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :&>
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

andrew ford

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:23:25 pm »
we put the eggs under the broody where she is without chucking her off and if she takes after a week and move her into the desired spot (cat boxes are usually the best) with food and water

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 08:25:42 pm »
Just keep an eye on her even if she does take to her new spot - without real intention they can go back to their original spot after they come out for a break just through force of habit - they're just a bit dopey when broody (a bit like pregnant females I have to say!).  Mrs Culckerhen (a favourite broody) was a bit dottled every few days and would wander back to the original spot but was happy to be picked up and put in the right place. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:26:13 am »
a bit like pregnant females I have to say!

Ah man, talk about taking a large stick to a hornets nest!!!

lol

:D   :D  :D  :D  :D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:03:48 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »
I would put some chicken wire round her to keep the other hens of her make it big enough so she can get of the nest to releave herself and get water and feed, thats if it is possible.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

bevsmith

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »
I would tend to agree with bigchicken, and is what we do if convenient, have never manged to move a broody even with her eggs and nest in tact and her carry on sittin for some reason,lol, So now we just shut them off from everyone else. :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS