Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Breed of Turkey!  (Read 1914 times)

Mel

Which Breed of Turkey!
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »
Hi all  :wave:

Now that we are getting somewhere we wish to have 20 Turkeys for Christmas,they shall be organic free range but which is the best breed to go for as far as taste and size.One friend wishes to have a Huge Turkey and will pay the going rates,others all appear to ask similar-you know 20Lbs upwards if at all possible!

Any advice really appreciated!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Which Breed of Turkey!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:07:01 pm »
check you feed costs. you can't claim them as organic even if they come from an organic farm and are fed organic feed. feeding 20 birds could get quite expensive so please make sure that the folks your selling to are prepared to pay full market price. you will need extra help at dispatch time and the plucking will take quite a time. have you ever gutted a turkey. after 20 your going to get sick of the smell. the kids enjoy commenting on the farting noises as your pulling the guts out.

Mel

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:18:50 pm »
Hello Shetlandpaul,

Yes I have,when I was very very young(5 yrs upwards) I was raised on a farm and we had 10,000 of them,all commercial-the white ones,However,because I do not agree with them being raised in huge dark sheds and am a lot older now,I was hoping to have some natural Turkey's free ranging but age has crept in and I have forgotten-breeds,which are double breasted and so forth!

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »
we always buy the white double breasted turkeys we usally do 8 this year were doing 12 we also like these because of size (2009) they grew to 40lbs plus (males) we also had 2 bronze ones in 2010 but never again as plucking these was a night mare as feathers go so deep,
how we do it is take orders of people that want them and ask what finished size they want they come in different growth rates sizes which we find works, then take a diposit of them (non returnable) pays for bird then it usally works out at about £2.50 per lb when done this covers our food bill and we still made about £100 profit last year
hope this reads right not very good at this sort of thing
sam :chook: :turkey:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »

We have reared a few turkeys over the last 2 years Norfolk Bronzes, Blacks and Bourbon Reds, the first year they were kept mostly in a big shed and the following year they were kept free range, there was no discernable difference in the taste and the indoor reared ones were only fractionally bigger, with the biggest stag reaching 24lbs :turkey:

We sold ours on a come and pluck your own basis which was actually great fun, one friend who is a cook got hers free in return for gutting everyone elses.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS