Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Perthshire Sea Eagles  (Read 6015 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Perthshire Sea Eagles
« on: February 05, 2009, 12:36:16 pm »
I think I just saw one them here in Fife, it's definitely not a buzzard! They've been released a few weeks back, I heard. I wasn't panning on babysitting my ducks all day! Has anyone else seen them or had any of their birds taken?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Perthshire Sea Eagles
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:41:36 pm »
We had two soaring around here yesterday - beautiful birds but I'm glad I don't have anything young they could get.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:07:00 pm »
I just read up on them, it was actually 2007 that the latest 15 were released. I've never seen one in the "wild" before today. Some comments from farmers were not that supportive, as they also take lambs....they are stunning birds, but is East Scotland big enough for this kind of ambitious reintroduction project? (What's is going to be next - wolves or bears?) Like with the sparrowhawks, once they've seen a meal, they will come back as soon as you're not watching (I am worried now) .We've been lucky so far, none of the adult ducks got taken by a predator yet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »
They didn't like mu dogs being out and about and just wheeled around then flew off.  Don't know if they were a breeding pair or just a couple of foraging youngsters - don't know enough about them.. They looked superb on the wing though, I must say - lovely big sweeping turns across the sky, with big snowflakes gently falling.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Pusupunko

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »
I saw one when I went to Mull about 3 or 4 years ago. It was sitting on a post on the other side of a loch (we were looking through a scope), and there was a sheep about six feet away, looking up at it. I swear the bird was almost as big as Flossy - they really are enormous. I'm sure they do take lambs occasionally. In other countries, very large raptors will take monkeys and even babies, so we should probably count ourselves lucky.

Jim

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:58:57 pm »
Oh, I am so jealous, I'd love to see one of them in the wild  :)

I do education on ospreys, golden eagles, buzzards with the RSPB as a volunteer - I think they're incredible birds.

So far as the sea eagles are concerned - they will pick lambs, but only the sick and the weak - the best way for the farmers to stop this happening is to improve their animal husbandry.  A study on the sea-eagles on Mull showed that in three years, four sea-eagles predated only 37 lambs - which is a far cry from the dozens which the Gairloch farmers are claiming in a few months of sea-eagle release in their area.   

I really hope these maginificent birds are left in peace and don't fall foul to the poisonings which unfortunately blight the existence of other raptors in this country  >:(     

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:53:02 am »
I do agree with you, Pomona. I no way do I support poaching, taking their eggs or anything like that. I've reported the sighting and will have a chat with the lady overseeing the program. Since we've got our ducks, I do see predators in a slightly different light - I just feel very protective (understandably I think) towards my birds and there is no way I can improve their safety. As  in nearby Abernethy some hens were killed by a Sea Eagle I am very concerned.

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »
I just feel very protective (understandably I think) towards my birds and there is no way I can improve their safety. As  in nearby Abernethy some hens were killed by a Sea Eagle I am very concerned.

I absolutely agree with you, if I lived in an area where air-borne predator and prey co-existed so closely then I'd be anxious too  ???

The "problem" with sea eagles is that they're dustbins - it's not as though their diet is confined solely to fish, so I appreciate the concern for your birds.  I don't know what will be suggested, but is it possible for you to put up a deterrent of some kind?  These're huge birds, so they need some air space to get in and off the ground again - I wonder if a decoy deterrent or something to make landing incredibly awkward might be enough to put them off paying you a visit?   

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:38:10 pm »
When these two last week were hovering over my back garden I'm sure they must have been looking at my birds as there's nothing else around.  Anyway, I let the dogs out - when my lot go out they are so excited they bark like crazy and leap about all over the place.  I have a perfect garden for the eagles to land - long, flat grass and gravel, but I haven't seen them again - they took off as soon as my dogs were let out.

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:44:47 pm »
Maybe that's the answer:  hyper dogs.

Unless you've a couple of hyper children to give the same effect?   ;D

(*trying very hard not to sulk at those lucky people who've seen these birds in the wild*  :D )

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:25:36 pm »
I know it's a rare occasion and I hope it stays that, as stunning birds as they are! They are releasing 15 every year up here (not all of them survive), so folks, you might get more chances to see them!
I thought about dogs, but we are just not dog people (no offence to anyone who is a dog person), the cat walks itself lol
My kids deterred a stout with their presence, not sure if the Sea Eagle wouldn't just wait and circle up there until we're all fed up, especially in this kind of weather! The local crows weren't too happy with the visitor (they were so tiny compared to when they annoy a buzzard), it did eventually get too irritated by them and had gone when I'd found the the camera. Crows to the rescue!
They did put some deterrents up for the gentleman after he lost some of his hens (he keeps them in a pen), but our ducks are free range, as in open space garden, I don't think that would be of much use...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:50:40 am »
My friend near Perth has lost numerous animals to these birds and even made the newspapers last year. All the government officials have denied his claims as they are desperate to leave these birds in the wilds. My friend lost peacocks, hens and once it tried to make off with a Pygmy Kid. I saw the mess the poor goat was in but luckily it recovered well but refused to venture outside for a while. These birds are deadly. He actually sae the bird take his livestock but still the officials denied it.

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:55 pm »
But, in fairness, and not to denigrate at all your friend's distressing losses and animal's injuries, these birds are wild predators.  What are the officials (I assume from the Scottish Government?) supposed to do?   These birds are here, they have a right to be here and that means they have to eat. 

Yes, they are deadly, as are ravens, golden eagles, sparrowhawks etc.    And foxes, badgers, rats, etc. 

It's distressing and unpleasant and for the poor animals, traumatic and painful.  But, I would respectfully argue:  it's nature.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 02:01:46 pm »
I do see your point, Pomona, but we were talking about the RE- introduction program, which releases 7 sea eagle chicks each spring. All of us who have animals live with foxes, sparrowhawks and the like and a lot of times we probably could do more to protect our livestock. But - I wonder if this program has been thoroughly thought through as we in Scotland do not live in a huge wilderness as for example Canada and Norway. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 04:12:36 pm »
I agree with Kirsten, I cannot see why our good ecological balance has to be interfered with by these 'do-gooders' just to put things back to the way they were - who says that the old times were all good.  They weren't, and Sea Eagles like Wolves and bears are a definite liability if they are re-introduced.  Best leave things as they are IMHO.  Mother Nature doesn't always get it right

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS