Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Results of this years hatchings  (Read 1458 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Results of this years hatchings
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:09:18 am »
On the whole the broodies have done well.

Hen on 4 duck eggs for a neighbour hatched two - one egg had a dead duckling in and the other had broken.
Big buff sussex had 8 hen eggs, hatched all 8 two days ago - stood on one and squashed it today. Nearly did another tonight, until I  rescued it. Clumsy or what?!!
RIR hen had 8 eggs - now this was a disappointing hatch.  3 hatched, but very slow, over 24 hours.  Looked at the other eggs, and one egg had all the shell missing and a dead chick  in, another egg had a dead chick, and 3 eggs with nothing in.
Little wyandotte bantie, who hatches every summer hatched all 5 of her eggs.
Two more banties did well - one has 6 and the other 4, both have 3 cream legbar chicks.  One of the chicks is diddy, and I suspect looking at its black beak, and black, hairy feet, it could be the egg from the miniature silkie.

One more bantie to hatch, she is sitting on 8 bantie eggs.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Results of this years hatchings
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:11 am »
Brilliant news  ;D

i've had 100% fertility from all the hen/duck eggs but only a 47% hatch rate which is not very good,
and the 15 pheasant eggs i will never know about as the hut the broody hen was blown over in the winds last week and the eggs all smashed

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Results of this years hatchings
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:19:24 am »
Oh, Cameron, sorry about your pheasant eggs - what a shame.

I was surprised the buff sussex hatched all her eggs to be honest......the pygmy billy goat decided the rabbit hutch she was sitting in, was a good place to scratch his head on!  And after giving the hutch a good shaking about he finished it off with a good butting.  I chased him off, but worried about the eggs.  Poor hen must have sat tight!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS