Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: where they like to lay their eggs  (Read 1557 times)

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
where they like to lay their eggs
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
How can I get my 3 hens to all lay in their hut again?
What happened was, one hen went broody- it only lasted about a week- but while she was sitting, the other 2 stopped laying in the hut.  They held onto their eggs until I let them out of the run, even until 3 or 4pm, and then ran round the garden desperately looking for a good place to lay.  Found some in the greenhouse, one under a bit of bracken, but 1 was found by the dog- just the shell was left.  Annie is laying again now, in the hut as before, but the other 2 still want to hang onto theirs until I open the run to let them free range in the garden.  Any advice?
Heather

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: where they like to lay their eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:46:31 am »
Hi Heather.  Do you have just one nest box in the hut?  It might be worth adding another.  Check for red mite as has been said elsewhere, just in case that's why they don't want to stay in. Other than that I think that for a few days you need to keep them in until they have laid - sounds like it will be a battle of wills  :D  I have had to do this a couple of times with mine which normally free range widely, but right now is when they want to go off and lay a clutch with a view to hatching them, so their biology is ruling them.  :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:41:51 pm »
Chickens really want to keep their eggs to themselves, they lay in order to hatch out young, not to supply us with eggs so if we take their eggs and they find an alternative site they will take it!
 The only sure option is to give them no choice i.e. keep them in a run with no other place to lay but in a nice, dark , peaceful nest box :chook:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:56:11 am »
Is the broody settled enough to risk moving her to a broody coop, where she can be lef to rear her young and the other two can have  their house back? We have an old rabbit hutch and run we put our broody plus eggs in and had no probs with them leaving the nest when moved so far.

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:40:15 am »
 ;)thanks for that, Hermit.
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS