Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how life changes  (Read 3474 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
how life changes
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:46 pm »
well, here i am sitting watching springwatch (getting ready to feed plants and put away the animals)
in front of me are spike and baby bertie (turkey poults 3 weeks old) running around the room, playing........
one stands still and the other runs around them in circles then crouches down....... the other then does the same ;D
am having sooo much fun watching them......
 :turkey: :turkey:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: how life changes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:36 pm »
 ;D Hours of time spent  ;D I'm just as bad with my ducklings - the house would be clean and the ironing done, but for them  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:19:52 pm »
;D Hours of time spent  ;D I'm just as bad with my ducklings - the house would be clean and the ironing done, but for them  ;)
I doubt it!  ;)  You'd probably be like me and find something else of natural interest to watch ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:28:22 am »
I doubt it!  ;)  You'd probably be like me and find something else of natural interest to watch ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D I'm glad i'm not the only one......... i tell friends that the animal houses get cleaned first......... its cheaper to go to docs if get ill from the mess than them going to the vets........  ;)
so far they believe me!!!!

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:21:33 am »
i spend lots of time just watching, eiother outside or from the window, and often when the others are watching tv, and think i'm playing on my laptop, i'm actually just looking out of the window!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:49:19 am »

Ah yes, "I'm watching Lambing Live" = I'm looking out of the bathroom window.

I spent Saturday afternoon mowing the lawn, and then an hour trying to find the ducks, who had run away over the fields to get away from the noise. I was then awakened at 6:30 on Monday morning to the sight of an ex racehorse galloping around all over it, with owner in hot pursuit yelling expletives. I then went to check on the animals, and was assaulted by a mummy pea-hen who had misunderstood that I only wanted to top up her water.

On Monday morning, I had to try and explain to a colleague why I had randomly turned up outside his house on Sunday afternoon (I had no idea that was where he lived), and that I really HAD come to 'score some turkey chicks' from his next door neighbour. Monday evening was spent reviving a turkey poult who'd managed to lose his way back to the brooder, and gotten chilled. It was a close call, but "Wobble" is now back with the other twizzlers, and doing really well.

Every day really is different, and right now, I wouldn't change it for the world.

HOWEVER Manian, even we don't have turkeys running round the living room. Not so much a case of 'how life changes', but more 'how do I change my carpets' for you methinks!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:42:58 am »
This is perfectly normal  ;D ;D I can spend hours watching the birds and the ducks always make me smile. It is really therapeutic  ;D :&>

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »
my broody and chicks are ensuring I don't get too involved with housework  ;D

what will I be like when the cat has kittens  :D

Just wish she would hurry up

........one of the girls went to check if the cat had her kittens yet and came running upstairs to say 'no she isn't sitting on any kittens'

......obviously we have been hatching chooks too long  :cat: :chook: :wave:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:53:28 pm »

HOWEVER Manian, even we don't have turkeys running round the living room. Not so much a case of 'how life changes', but more 'how do I change my carpets' for you methinks!  ;D
;D ;D ;D sooooo true, our carpet was ditched, and luckily the poo is dry so i'm wandering around with wet wipe picking it up. (we also have had a salesman phoneing offering a free room carpet clean.....told them too busy at the mo and ring back end of june/july............. :D :D ) Initially they were in an adapted area made from 3 cardboard boxes, they kept jumping over the top and run around so eventually put in the brick potting shed (aka nursery!!!!). We bring them in every other day for a cuddle and play...... well there's only 2 of them and they think we're mum and dad  ::)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »
I spend most days when the weather permits outside with my lot, chickens like to keep an eye on me to see if there is anything interesting on the go. Ducks only have to hear my voice and they are up the field like a shot and when I am picking up the pony droppings from the paddocks what better fun for the ponies than to see how long it takes them to empty my barrow when my back is turned. Who needs daytime TV  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS