Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first spuds  (Read 3110 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
first spuds
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:33:17 pm »
for our supper last night and tonight we had lush spuds from our garden, and boy were they good,
cant wait to get stuck into the other veg thats coming on.
hope all is going well for everyone and you are starting to enjoy your hard work ;)

langdon
Langdon ;)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: first spuds
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:39:02 pm »
First of the Globe Artichokes for us, already scoffed the Strawberries. Yum.   :yum:

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:53:04 pm »
does everyone else earth their spuds up?  an old chap near me said he does not bother and you dont need to, farmers dont either, I planted mine a foot deep, but might earth them up once just to make sure.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:09:40 pm »
we do earth them up..... old habbits die hard  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »
I earth mine up.  When I haven't, some varieties haven't been too bad, but some tend to form the tubers close to the surface and they mostly went green and inedible.  I quite like earthing up - must be a masochist  ;D
Nothing ready here except mixed salad leaves etc.  Some peas looking promising, lettuce on it's way, spuds a long way off.......

It's wonderful picking those first tasty crops  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:50:31 am »
I didn't have a fork with me yesterday when I went to check my spuds, so I only had one Pentland Javelin for lunch!  That way my newly-painted nail varnish doesn't look too tatty!  (excuse the pun!  ;D).

The first potato is always the best. I have left half my potatoes unearthed up.  I would like to say it's a planned experiment, but no, I never got round to doing it, so now it's an experiment!

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:02:36 pm »
I have never needed to until this year. I usually plant quite deep and struggle to get them all out of the ground. This year i planted shallow and the have ben showing out of the soil - earth up if you don't want green tatties!

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:49:50 am »
Earthing up the spuds gets the ground warmer due to the larger surface area of the ridge so the spuds grow quicker , being triangular in the shape of the mound also helps soak up the rain on the greater surface area so in light shower weather the spuds still can get enough moisture.

i'm thinking that the perdson who says farmers never earth up  can't have seen many spud fields .. not only do all the above  comments apply , the ridge is also the basis for the harvesting machines to be able to operate effectively in the most economicaly viable way
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 06:55:58 am »
Interesting plantoid. Thanks.

Makes me feel a bit less guilty about not watering my spuds at the moment. It's been chuckung down with rain every day for AGES  :-[ :-[

We earthed up four times and could still have done more!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS