Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: male dairy goat kids wanted to rear  (Read 3544 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
male dairy goat kids wanted to rear
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:31:12 pm »
hi we are looking for some male kids from dairy maybe that would just be slaughtered or if you normally sell them on etc..we have orphan lambs rearing for meat and would like to rear some kids to..happy to pay im not out for a freebe! i found some to far away that were between 5 days and 3 weeks £5-£20 so looking around that area..can collect .we are in notts..happy to travel an hour or so..x.
'can't rain all the time!'

chickenfeed

Re: male dairy goat kids wanted to rear
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:56 pm »
maybe a little late this year

i think they may be in short supply this year we had someone come from essex to collect meat kids as they could not find any closer to home.

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:29:39 pm »
Hello,

I have two wethers available but are they for meat or are you wanting to keep them as pets?

McR

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:40 pm »
they would be for meat yes..

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »
I know where there are some GG pygmy X wethers and nanny's in Doncaster but they are £50 each boys or girls
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 11:30:14 pm »
We now charge a minimum of £50 for castrated males as well. By the time you add up how much it costs, stud fee for the mum, disbudding fees, any vet fee's if the kidding was bad, worming the boys before they leave, eartags..... It all adds up, and if were taking our kids to a vet to be disbudded (my mum is a qualified vet so we do it ourselves) it would probably cost more than £50.

It is a bit late for this year- you need to ask around February/March time so people can bear it in mind when kidding happens.

Beth

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:41 am »
i agree with ballingal with the asking around early. and as i said in a earlier post its a bit late for young kids all our meat kids are well on the way to the maet market.
after talking to our slaughterhouse the other day i think goat meat is becoming more sellable, even last year they did not want to know about buying goats in, this week they approached me and offered a very good deal for any goats i have they pointed to one of the goats i took in and said x ammount for that one too late this time round but i would have been better off selling direct to the butcher  ::) so either my meat prices are well out of date or goat is really catching on, or a combination of the 2.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:40:26 pm by chickenfeed »

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:48:10 pm »
thanks all,i keep forgatting all other goats only breed at certain times as i have only had pygmies till now and they breed all year round! ive just got myself 4 an x gg coming at end of the month when weaned...i get where the price of £50 comes from but i was after  not castrated or ones that had been castratd with a ring/band on farm in 1st week and with horns ,people i spoke to last year said the prices i quoted as the billy kids didnt stand them at much atall as they are (unfortunatly) a bye product! i will tryagain next year but should have my own few kids by then as we have a boer x and a gg x ready for billy this autumn.thanks everyone for help and advice! :) :) :goat:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS