Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What shall I plant here  (Read 5473 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What shall I plant here
« on: June 04, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »
We have just had a field shelter erected and I am thinking that something nice growing up the side would be good. It's WNW facing - probably about 280 - 300 degrees.

What would be good there?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

The soil is clay loam I would say - possibly pretty damp in the winter although I think we would drain that area if it proved to become very boggy.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: What shall I plant here
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:11:07 pm »
Maybe hops. We have some near one of the goathouses and they like to have a nibble on it as they go past.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:46:25 am »
I was thinking more along the lines of a climbing rose or clematis or something. I like the look of a St Swithun climbing rose

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:50:24 am »
I am hopeless with plant names but I would plant a mixture so the side is coverd all year, so, something with a pretty evergreen leaf and berries and flowers, then a camelia, Climbing rose and some honysuckle and maybe some mimosa......I am not sure they would all take too well but the mix is a suggestion and should be pretty all year round! I have an old (must be very old) Clematis and now its dead but it looks a mess tangled high in a tree and all over the fence!!

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:08:16 am »
I quite like the clematis Motana rubens. It doesn't require any pruning other than to make it grow where you want it to be, it is pretty tough as clematis goes and will come with most situations and it flowers profusely in spring and the flowers are not the huge over-showy flowers that some clematis have. We all have different tastes though and maybe you like the large flowered ones.
The idea of a mix sounds nice too. We have a climbing rose and a russian vine on one side of an old barn which has now reached the roof and together they put on a good show. I wouldn't suggest a russian vine for your field shelter - it would swamp it in no time - not called mile a minute for nothing!

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:52 am »
We had some Russian vine in a little terraced house and I kept it well cut back, hard to tame but it did make a nice roof for my patio. I have told this story before but, in that same house we had some Laylandi next to the fence and we cut them down, the neighbours bits of climbing stuff were all over our fence too and I loved them as I hate just a bare fence as the garden was very small, anyway, on returning from work, my husband, new to gardening, trimmed all the bits of climbing stuff off, I was gutted as it looked so bare and I could not understand BUT, later, the neighbour came around and was so upset, the bit he trimmed off were the start of a wonderful and well established mix of wonderful climbing plants that went all the way around her garden, covered her sunroom wall and back down the other side, flowering and smelling nice all year...neadless to say, the lot died as they no longer had roots!! We gave the neighbours some presents and they were very very nice considering and in the end thanked him for enaling them to see some repairs that needed doing!!!! I loved our neighbours garden, it was a long thin one with hanging baskets and full of all sorts of shrubs, bedding plants and perenuals.....lovely neighbours too!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:13 am »
I'd go for a mix too  ;)
An Ivy for year round colour and gives lots of cover for bugs, beasties and birds http://www.floraselect.co.uk/shop/hedera/and maybe a white climbing rose (like Alba http://www.floraselect.co.uk/shop/climbing-rose/rosa-banksiae-alba-plena-climbing-rose-lady-banks-rose-%7C3725/) mixed with a purple clematis http://www.floraselect.co.uk/shop/clematis/clematis-victoria/.
Avoid any kind of Wisteria - although gorgeous to look at the seed pods are poisonous  :(
HTH
Karen
I have an old (must be very old) Clematis and now its dead but it looks a mess tangled high in a tree and all over the fence!!
Sandy, cut it off at just above ground level and give it a year. You never know what might happen  ;)

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:52 am »
Thanks, will do  :bouquet:

THat
Clematis Victoria
looks stunning!!! When you trace ours back there is a HUGE root thats moldy up in the darkest courner of our garden so I bet its rotted away, we will leave it until we have our next bout of garden clearing as its tangled in one of our Rowan trees and also the climbing rose, that needs sorting too!!!!!

THere are some brill web sites that you can select buy colour, area to plant, size, etc, ideal for me to mix and match rather than me just picking stuff up out of those tempting garden centers...I have always loved garden centers, even as a small child!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:08:10 pm by Sandy »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:45:07 am »
Just double check that whatever you plant isn't poisonous in any way to whatever animals you have. There is a high chance it will get nibbled.

:farmer:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:16 pm »
The field shelter isn't actually where we are grazing animals although they will go in there form time to time I expect.

It's going to more for storage etc. BUT........ there's no saying one or two sheep wouldn't get out into that areaso I will check and make sure it's safe.

Like the idea of a mix too. White climbing rose and purple clematis sounds nice.

Any ideas on when I would make a start on the project?

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »
Providing you can get pot grown plants you can start now. If you've got some well rotted manure handy, work it into the ground and get planting  ;) If not, dig in some compost and bonemeal instead - plenty of water and you should be fine. If it's bare rooted plants, probably best to wait til next Spring.
Karen  :wave:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:26:20 pm »
I've just seen that Gardners World magazine are offering two free purple clematic plants this month. I think I will apply for them  :) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS