Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curing help needed  (Read 8089 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Curing help needed
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 08:31:52 pm »
In that case you are in for a treat. I take it you are hot smoking? Proper "pulled pork" is delicious and very satisfying. Hardest thing is temperature regulation, as a quick flash up to 200 degC plus can blacken and ruin the meat. You are looking for 6-8 hours (for a normal sized shoulder joint or two) at 130 ish.  So design a nice big firebox with an easily controllable inlet damper to vary the amount of incoming air. And I would recommend a temp probe in the smoking chamber - I got mine off ebay.

This American website is good for smoking and BBQ tips.

Here is my smoker.

:yum: ;D

We're going to cut a 45gl drum in half lengthways and put a hinge on the back and cut a chunk out of one side.  Then we're going to cut a 17kg blue gas bottle so there is a door and then weld the gas bottle to the 45gl drum and use the gas bottle for the heat and the 45gl drum for the cooking chamber.  We've got some strong metal racking that we can cut to size for the larger slabs of meat or a variety of meats. and we're also going to modify it so it can house my rotissery spit roaster  ;D my friends won't knwo what hit them lol

While i'm here again ....... anybody got any easy dry rub and mop/liquid BBQ sauce recipes?

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 08:48:19 am »
Welshlass, I take it you have already scrolled down to section 9 of the American BBQ website I mentioned? Loads there  :wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »
Had a quick shufty :) will look more indepth when i get a chance.  Got a welder here and a grinder so gona have a bash hehe

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 03:48:16 pm »
Good on ya!!! Will be better than shop-bought I'm sure. I'd love a bigger one when I have more space.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS