Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas please! Horizontal curd knife for cheesemaking  (Read 6777 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Ideas please! Horizontal curd knife for cheesemaking
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:21:31 pm »
I am just ready to try my first cottage cheese, and from reading it sounds as though getting the lumps of curd more-or-less similar size-and-shaped would be good. 

I have assumed I can just make a lot of straight down and along cuts for the vertical cuts but I haven't anything I could use as a horizontal knife.  I can't even find a one to buy anywhere on the internet - and if I did it would be overkill for my little 1 litre experiments. 

The only thing I have been able to find is an article by Katie Thear in which she says you can use a palette knife to make diagonal cuts if you don't have a horizontal knife.  Well I don't have one of those either but I do have a long carving knife.

What do you all do and what have you found to be the pros and cons of different tactics?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

Re: Ideas please! Horizontal curd knife for cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:35:52 pm »
cheese wires on a frame simples :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:38:33 pm »
Thanks robert - but I think I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to making things from scratch.  How/where/what?  (do I do it / do I get the bits / do I need?)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:51:42 pm »
two knifes held vertically and spaced apart  holes drilled in the blades cheese wire threaded through and held tight thats it                                         necessity is the mother of invention :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »
two knifes held vertically and spaced apart  holes drilled in the blades cheese wire threaded through and held tight thats it                                         necessity is the mother of invention :farmer:

In an emergency, you could use some (clean  ;) ) strimmer wire.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:20:21 pm »
It's not essential to get all the cubes the same size, so just get in there with a knife to fit your tub. I was told though that it is essential to sing as you work.(Probably so that Ma knew I was there and still working ;D)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »
I just use my large (non-serrated) bread/carving knife to make diagonal cuts and also move the pan around. Seems to work quite well. The normal horizontal curd cutter arrangement would really only work in square pots, and I don't have one of those (maybe Ikea should sell one... as that's where all my kitchen stuff (except knifes) comes from...)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:11:00 pm »
Thanks all - good point about the square pot, Anke.  That saves me agonising over how to make one a la Robert and not have lots of nooks and crannies (screws and so on) and how am I going to keep it all clean...

Like the singing, Sylvia - will have to search out some suitable songs  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:31:10 pm »
I just cut the curd up diagonally with a big bread knife - seems to work OK :)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
I use a wire coat hanger formed to the same size as the pot!  Slide it down the side then across lift a little and go back.  It doesn't exactly "cut" but it does the job well enough.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:01:57 am »
Great ideas there, thanks all.  Will have a play!

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 12:37:38 am »
I love the sound of this!

I'm currently studying cheesemaking and when we are doing any experiments with curd that isn't housed in our larger vats we use a straight-edged, super sharp (this is vital so to not smash the curd) bread/carving knife held diagonally. It annoys me to do this as you are obviously not going to get the lovely cube-shaped curds that one would like however I can testify that it DOES work, and tastes bloody good too.

Good luck and enjoy savouring the fruits of your labours!

Bon Apetit!

McR

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
Hi Sally

We've always used the vertical and diagonal cuts with a sharp knife. If it's a cheese you are going to stir the curds on just keep a small knife beside you as you stir and cut any bits that look too large as they surface.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS