Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving Pigs  (Read 5938 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Moving Pigs
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:20:09 pm »
Yesterday, our group moved our 3 Gloucesters from one garden to another, about 150 yards away.  Easy.  Not!  They are now happily settled in a patch with better draining soil but we did have a few problems along the way.  Learning points were:-
1. Make the gate in any enclosure wide enough to get the arc through, otherwise you have to lift it over the fence.
2. Consider putting handles on the arc so that you can pick it up between you, rather than having to roll it Egyptian style with fence posts and scafolding boards, to its new position.
3. Do not, under any circumstances, create a narrow corridor from electric fencing and assume the pigs will walk calmly along it.  They will bounce from one side to the other like pinballs, eventually breaking the fencing and escaping into the garden in their panic - and they are no respecters of flowerbeds, believe me! 
4. Do it on a day when the temperature is greater than -1C if you dont want to freeze your bits off. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Moving Pigs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:38:42 pm »
We often have to move pigs.  We make a channel but use sheets of corrugated tin, pigs cant see through, OH walks behind with the now legless (Hilary got it) plastic garden table, I walk/trot/run ahead with the bucket with a few nuts, shaking and calling piggies(neighbours are convinced I need to be certified).  So far pretty foolproof.  Having said that loved your posting especially the description of moving the arc egyptian style.  HM

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:29:21 pm »
The more often you move them the easier it becomes, like most things they get used to it.

Our two sows are quite easy to walk with a stick and pig board. A litter of growing pigs is a different kettle of fish though!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:06:56 pm »
A bucket of feed shook under their noses is all is takes for most of ours, the more seasoned ones simply come along by name.
If you're relaxed about it all the pig tends to be as well.

All of our arcs are fitted with skids and towed by a quad or tractor.

Cheers

Gavin

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:42 pm »
bucket of nuts shaken for ours too, went across 2 paddocks and straight into trailer with no extra fence

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:39 pm »
Ah, a quad or a tractor would be lovely.  Unfortunately, the enclosure sill needs a gate wide enough to get it through (which the new one does have).  The bucket of feed worked well, once they had trashed the fence and started to dig up the bulbs in the border.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing - if only it came a bit earlier in the day!  Still, next time, it will run like clockwork........ watch this space!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 07:49:06 am »
Next time, armed with all this advice, you will confidently go forward, to find that these pigs either go like angels without any extra help, or refuse to come out of the field. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:33 am »
I wonder if that's the key - confidence and calm. If you are anxious and wound up, do they pick it up and react to that? I know horses and dogs do - I can't imagine that pigs don't.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:42:13 am »
You're on early today, Rosemary! - at work already?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:45:45 am »
Not at work today - going to the doc later. Nothing serious (I hope!)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:52 am »
I wonder if that's the key - confidence and calm. If you are anxious and wound up, do they pick it up and react to that? I know horses and dogs do - I can't imagine that pigs don't.
Definately - the worst things you can do when trying to move pigs is to rush. You can't hurry them.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS