Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Battle Continues  (Read 5698 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
The Battle Continues
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:47:30 pm »
Hiya everyone

Im so sorry i have not posted for such along time, think about you guys everyday but havnt been able to pluck the courage up and fill you all in on the continueing battle, as i have said before it hurts writing this down, but here goes

OH finished his treatment at the end of April, but was kept in hospital for a week longer due to complications with the side effects, the main one was his white blood cell count going very very low, so he was in isolation that was all sorted out and home he came, very tired and very sore, we have a continious trail of doctor,district nurses, macmillan nurse, and speech and swallowing nurses coming in to check OH out doing bloods and such like checking meds and stuff, he was sleeping alot and no energy at all, he found it hard work just doing a 15 min stroll with the dogs, which is heartbreaking when he used to be so fit, walking, cycling, ect ect,
He is still on nil by mouth, he has choking sessions when trying to swallow, sips of tea, probiotic yoghurt drinks are about the easiest he has found, a little bottle of that takes about half an hour to drink.
The second week of him being home his bloods were taken and the results came back his white blood cell count had dropped again so off back to hospital he went, for a check and he was admitted, chest infection, and throat infection, intavarenous meds and antibiotics, he was in for a week and he came home last wednesday.
He is doing ok at the min, still nil by mouth which he find very frustrating and annoying being hooked up to a food pump twice a day, he is still in pain and still on morphene painkillers, along with an array of other painkillers, antibiotics, mouthwashes,
Swallowing, coughing and talking all hurt to a degree, but his energy level is up a wee bit he can now manage a half hour walk with me and the dogs, which is nice.
We are continuing to fight this as hard as we can, it is hard, it does hurt, it does make you angry, it makes you want to cry, and shout, but were handling it and enjoying spending time together.
Im physically, mentally and emotionally exhursted, but dont feel i can moan about any of it as it is not me with the big C, im the lucky one.
The animals and small holding are keeping me busy i dont know where the days go, plus it takes me twice as long to do jobs with my back, but were getting there the veg plot is planted and being battered by the winds!!!!!!!!!!
Both gardens now have ducks in them, which are lovely. the dogs, cats and horses are all great and give me the strength to keep going, and keep me sane, well sane-ish!!!!!!!!
The OH is back at the hosp on the 15th june for his review, so the consultant can check how things are going but i dont think they can scan him until july to find out exactually what is happening with the tumor, if it has been successful or not, such a long wait but the radiotherapy is still in his system, and that would effect the scan results, so wait we must.
I have got my referral date to see the consultant to discuss back surgery, that is on the 23rd june, so that should be interesting. But the OH is more important at the moment.

I hope you lot are all ok, i will try to read through everything at some point and see what you have all been up to, but just at the moment what with OH, dogs, horses, cats, hens, ducks, house, holiday cottage, and land i dont seem to have much time.

Take care all of you, been missing you all loads

i hope this post makes sense

Faith and OH

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: The Battle Continues
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:25:48 pm »
I know it has been a rollercoaster but I think both of you are great and have handled this awful thing brilliantly.

If you want to shout,scream,cry laugh do it but may I advise not all at the same time as that is just confusing.

Good luck and try to keep smiling

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:09:15 pm »
Hi Faith and OH.  I have been wondering and wondering how you were but didn't like to intrude with emails. The treatment phase is just so horrible and really all you can do is get through it somehow but the strain is awful on you both. We are right behind you and thinking of you both and wishing MacRoxy a speedy and full recovery. Best of luck with the review and fingers crossed for the scan.  :bouquet: :bouquet:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:11:22 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 06:18:43 pm »
You two have never been far from my thoughts, especially this last week when we were told that after a 6 year battle against various cancers my cousin, Elspeth, now has another  brain tumour - this time inoperable, and the only treatment is massive doses of steroids.

You are both teribly brave, and even more brave to put your thoughts on here.  Much love to both of you  :bouquet: :love:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

AengusOg

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:31:36 pm »
I was thinking of you only yesterday, and nearly posted wondering if anyone had news.

Good luck to you both.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:43:07 pm »
Thanks for sharing Faith and OH - not easy but hopefully its helped to 'talk about it' here on TAS.   Hang in there guys - thoughts with you both and sending {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} in huge quantities.
Mxx
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »
Thanks for sharing these times with us all, it is good to off load, we all need that from time to time.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »
Been thinking of you both (mum's on her 2nd course of chemo).......... certainly notice how emotions can change form moment to moment........ :bouquet: :bouquet:
take care
Mx

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »
:wave:  thanks for posting, been thinking of you both.
love and best wishes

little blue
x
Little Blue

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 09:14:30 pm »
you are both very brave, good luck and hope he beats it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 12:04:37 am »
I have been thinking of you both, and hoping things were going ok.

I can only imagine how hard it is for you to watch your husband battling this awful disease.  I really hope he starts to feel better, and able to talk and swallow etc.  It must be so uncomfortable for him.

Do take care of yourself as well

Sendng lots of good vibes to you both.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:06:31 am »
Good to hear from you and glad that both of you are hanging in there. Fingers crossed for good news on the 15th and the 23rd of June. Thinking of you both  :bouquet:

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 08:21:48 am »
I know, from a similar experience, how the animals seem to help you through things like this. You're doing so well, stay strong.
Very best wishes from myself and the (fully recovered) OH.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:28:36 am »
All the very best to you both

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:42 am »
In order to give support you need to keep yourself healthy and strong.  Be kind to yourself.  Our thoughts are with you always.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS