Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dogs sh*ting on my land, an offence?  (Read 13089 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: dogs sh*ting on my land, an offence?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 12:48:36 pm »
My father in law did not  like the dog mess in his garden, so he used to drive his dog over to the local rough ground, and let the dog run into and poo on the playing fields adjacent.  Nothing I said could ever make him understand or clear it up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »
Dog poo bags left lying around are intensely interesting to cattle.  And probably won't but can kill them.  (To be honest I am surprised that any calves ever reach maturity!  They'll try to eat absolutely everything they find.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 02:47:38 pm »
We have more environmentally responsible people around here.  What they do is pick up the poo in a bag and then leave the bag.  Indeed some hang the bag in the hedge so you can get a better view of the thing.

People are weird

;D ;D Sorry - can't help but laugh at that  :D  I wonder what goes through their minds.

Maybe you could ask the council for a dog poo bin for them to put their poop bags in.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »
Dog poo bags left lying around are intensely interesting to cattle.  And probably won't but can kill them.  (To be honest I am surprised that any calves ever reach maturity!  They'll try to eat absolutely everything they find.)

The bags don't even have to be full of dog poo  ;).  Round here we suffer from white van man who tosses his food wrappers and fag packets into our sheep fields, so we have to pick up every day. To be fair, they also toss their Daily Records in, so the tups can check the football results.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 04:29:16 pm »
Well you will have happy tups knowing the final scores ;D :sheep:

waterhouse

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »
We do indeed have a bright red poo bin.  But do you seriously expect me to carry POO all the way over to the bin.  Really, you should know better.   We live next to a common, and as we all know, common land exists in the urban fringe as a handy place to empty the dog.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 09:11:56 pm »
I've seen the poop bags hung from hedges or gate posts as well, not on my land but down at the local woods, its actually worse to do that, at least dog muck will decompose over time but a bag full will not and looks even more unsightly and it a risk to animals and livestock.

Thanks for everyones replies on here, glad I'm not the only one to suffer this misfortune. I will fence the whole plot when I can afford to and long term I may do the whole field and plant hedgerows along either side of the path to stop them from straying onto the land.

Will look into getting some signs as well.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »
Our council has started issuing bio degradable poo bogs because of that ridiculous habit. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »
Berberis will make a good sharp reminder to keep out ;D ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 11:50:32 pm »
We do indeed have a bright red poo bin.  But do you seriously expect me to carry POO all the way over to the bin.  Really, you should know better.   We live next to a common, and as we all know, common land exists in the urban fringe as a handy place to empty the dog.
But of course  ;D  And what would be the point of driving all that way only to take all that poo home again, or even put it in your bin  ??? And if someone sees me carrying a bag of poo they might laugh at me  :'(

We used to have wolfhounds and their poos are enormous and not easy to scoop - horrible job (pun not intended but I'll leave it  ;D) but better than a child standing in it.  At least though these days the city streets are not smeared with doggydoos - when I was a child it was always a dance along the pavements avoiding them.  Maybe, hopefully, people will eventually get the message in the country too  :dog:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:52:06 pm by Fleecewife »

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:35 am »
As we have a Newfoundland we can't manage with ickle tiny doggy doo bags, we have to use the supermarket carrier bags!  We get loads of mess down our lane, there are only 2 houses down the lane so because it is quiet people like to come and walk their dogs - and because there are only 2 houses there is obviously no need at all to pick up the mess   ::)  We take turns picking up crap with the bloke 1/2 mile down the road as our son and his grandchildren all play out there.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 09:52:21 am »
I did wonder about planting the verge with something like berberis and gorse but it's about 100 yds and I'd need a lot of plants, plus it's been rough for years so would be difficult to dig.  Don't think I can afford it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
this thread is funny        could it not be human crap in the veg plot                it reminds me of a site in leith that i was at once  this lady (posh accent) comes over to me and asks  what are you doing(test holes dug all over the nice green grass area) there is going to be a development here    AND WHERE AM I GOING TO EXERCISE MY DOG AFTER THIS IS BUILT ON 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 11:01:12 am »
I think it's rosa rugosa which is really prickly which councils sometimes plant.  We planted a stretch of hedge with that in an effort to stop the cows from next door eating it - didn't work as they love it but it grows at least 8' high and becomes impenetrable.  It's very cheap bareroot from Buckingham Nurseries and also suckers and spreads so you could start off with a short stretch and transplant gradually, or start thinly and let it bush out.  It also has the advantage that the flowers are pretty and then it has hips we could all be proud of  ;D  You can trim the sides with a hedge trimmer to help keep flowers from the ground to the top - dogs and humans absolutely can't get through it, although chooks love it. It's also tough enough that you don't have to prepare the ground carefully - just make a spade slit and plant. It soon shades out the grass.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:03:06 am by Fleecewife »

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 01:34:56 pm »
I did wonder about planting the verge with something like berberis and gorse but it's about 100 yds and I'd need a lot of plants, plus it's been rough for years so would be difficult to dig.  Don't think I can afford it.

Bide your time buy three or six "Jennifer " berberris they are the spikes from hell and grow them for cuttings , , tear them off a less than 2 yr old plant , use a hormone compound and grow your own clones for a couple of years , set the growing bed over some well cultivated ground that has plenty of rotted muck in it and cover the bed in  black poly sheet that has the edges weighted /dug into the ground this serves not only weed control but keeps thing moist and channels rain to each plant . at each cutting site make a small heel dent in the grond and put a small slit in , bung the cutting in  ..set them out when 20 inches high in early spring along a Round up sprayed rotavated bed just outside the foot path bounbdaries and run a wire along the line on waist high posts .
Set them in slightlya  staggered formation one every 2 feet .and use a general fertilizer to bring them on .

I did this to thousands of cuttings from all sorts of plants... Laurel works well for a solid  wall of impenetratable growth ( can grow to 30 ish feet ) to the average punter when propagated properly.
It took me four years to make a 200 mtr long wall of it five feet high laurel  ..  but is not so good in stock places   . My mate Don actually wove the young  four foot plants like a laid staked  hedge without the cutting of the wood to make a totally impenetrable wall of it on his small holding .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:39:32 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS