Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dogs sh*ting on my land, an offence?  (Read 13084 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
dogs sh*ting on my land, an offence?
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:45:05 pm »
Some people may think this is trivial but its not nice to find dog sh*t on your veg plot.

I've just taken on renting some land and I always had some reservations about the fact theres a public footpath that runs through the field, although it is not that well used.  In the 3 months I've been there I have not had a problem or not noticed one, but today I went there and saw that there were several lots of dog muck right on my veg plot.  Its definitely dogs, I know the difference between fox and dogs.

Now I understand that theres a public footpath and people walk their dogs but someone has obviously let their dog do this and its clearly private land and they seem to think its acceptable.  It also is likely to be someone local to the land as its pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

This makes me think it could be one of the neighbours who has taken a dislike to what I'm doing, as the field has just been cropped with cereal crops for many years, and maybe they have always just let their dogs s**t anywhere.

I just wondered is this an offence, after all its on private land, and what can I do to try to prevent this happening on a regular basis.

I was thinking of getting a sign, but what should my sign read?.  At this stage I dont want to come accross as aggresive, just to make my point and try to stop it from happening.

Had I been there to see this happening I would have been furious, if this happens again and I do find the culprit then I wonder how they would like me taking my dog to do his business on their lawn.

Sandy

Re: dogs sh*ting on my land, an offence?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:54:30 pm »
You may find the veg go and the poo stays, unless  you have criminal connections that frighten locals, not much can be done. THe people who would pick up thier poo need no signs, those that don't will not pay attention to any signs!!!!!

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:55:03 pm »
I do feel for you though and I would want payback too!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:07 pm »
I think you will find that many people with dogs think that letting their dogs crap anywhere in the countryside is OK, whereas if they walked along a town or city street they'd pick up.  We have the same problem in our lane.  The grass verge at one side is mine, and at first my son strimmed it regularly, but he was having to shower every time afterwards and it wasn't pleasant job so I told him to leave it and tried my ride on mower instead.  It got clooged up so I called the  Council Animal welfare officer. Eric said it was rough ground and if I kept it tidy people wouldn't let their dogs use it, and as far as he was concerned it wasn't a public lane so he couldn't help.  So I tried keeping it cut over a period of three weeks and guess what - nothing changed.  So now it is a wilderness of weeds, pretty flowers, long grasses and the poop is hidden from view.  To answer your question it is not an offence except if the Council want it to be!

I suggest you put up nice signs asking Joe Public to very kindly keep theri dogs off your vegetabels and leave some poo bags nearby - they are free from the Council!  I doubt if it will have any effect so the only other alternative is to fence in your vegetables.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »
just read that its not an offence on agricultural land which seems bizarre on land for used for growing food for human consumption.  Suppose the only way is to fence the whole plot off, or see whos dog it is and ask them to take their dog down the other end of the field.  They wont like it when I fill a weeks worth of it and return it to them on their lawn.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:40:33 pm »
I have been told by our local footpath man, that a public path over a field is covered by the same rules as a path through a town or whatever, so technically the owner should obey the rules of picking the poo up in your field. As to your veg plot, its wrong for them to allow the dog to use that as a toilet.  They should have the dog "under close control" on the path.   I assume your plot is not fenced off - is there no way you could do this. perhaps put an electic strand round it? 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:46:01 pm »
I understood that it was an offence to leave dog sh#t lying, even in the countryside.  You would need to catch the culprit red..er..handed before you could do anything about it.  Although it would be wonderful to return it all to them, especially with the burning paper bag on the doorstep trick  ;D, you would end up being the one prosecuted.  Really your best bet is to fence off your veg plot - you need to do it anyway to keep the rabbits and human tealeaves off once your crops appear. The kind of person who lets their dog cr#p on someone's vegetables is not likely to be someone who regularly worms their pet, so you need to safeguard your food against parasites.
I totally understand why you must be hopping mad about it  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:02:28 am »
join thr local countryside watch and get a couple of their signs and add a well presented one of your own underneath them

Warning
Countryside Watch area

your message ...

You may be on camera
Take your dog 's dung home with you !
It is an offence to leave your dog's mess in a public area .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:15 am »
hi
 we have a bridleway going though our land and people think they have rights to do what they want....... a public footpath is only a right of way to pass from  A to B ...... not a right to do what they want.......  ::)
which they seem to think. we had a problem with lots of poo..... again from locals as the land was left uncared for before we came. we tidied it up and then spoke to the bridleways/footpath dept at the council (it will be the county council not the local one) they supplied free signs etc to put up. we have also put signs asking to keep dogs on leads, after 3 dogs mawled our cat to death last year :'(  .... although they said we can only say "under control"
making it clear where the footpath is may help.... some farmers spay weed killer on the path so it is yellow and clearly visible
good luck
Mx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 09:53:15 am »
We have a dive down to the road, beech hedging and grass verges (cut) - and we get piles of dog poo. It's really annoying - once we put up a gate, we'll put up signs.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:56:15 am »
I don't suppose you could turn a nuisance into a benefit ....?
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=14999.0
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 10:07:34 am »
Dogs respond very well to electric fencing. You can keep the bunnies out with it also ;D

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:10:35 am »
I have public footpaths across my land and TBH I hate them now as people just think they can let the dogs run wild or feed the livestock. they have left gates open I have had dog bites on sheeps faces, a bucket of apples poured into the horses field. All of the paths on my land are clearly marked with electric fencing but people turn this off so they can get into the field. The dog poo is littered all over the fields which means I have to go round and pick it up regularly and yes there are signs on the gates telling people it is not acceptable

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:23:03 am »
How awful! I am so thankful we do not have paths. Its a shame that these thoughless people cause you all so much extra work. Seems to me they are more concerned with what they think are their rights rather than their responsibilities. The very sad thing is that what tehy will teach their children to do too >:(

waterhouse

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 12:32:41 pm »
We have more environmentally responsible people around here.  What they do is pick up the poo in a bag and then leave the bag.  Indeed some hang the bag in the hedge so you can get a better view of the thing.

People are weird

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS