Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbit recipe  (Read 3154 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Rabbit recipe
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:35:38 pm »
Looking for a hale and hearty rabbit stew recipe tried and tested, nothing too fancy or spicy, anyone have a favorite they are willing to share??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Rabbit recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:02:48 am »
We used to eat a lot of rabbit years ago.  I made my stews the usual way with onions, herbs and carrots but added 1/4lb browned steak mince to make it richer - always delicious. :bunny:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Rabbit recipe
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:34:00 am »
This is our fave rabbit stew! I often quadruple the quantities and serve it with mustard mash and spring greens if we have lots of people around and want to feed them cheaply! ;)

2 Rabbits
3-4tbsp sunflower oil
4 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
2tsp light muscovado sugar
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
330ml bottle Guinness
200ml beef stock made with beef oxo cube
2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

1 Boil the rabbits in a large saucepan for 45 minutes. Let cool enough to handle. Remove the meat to a plate.

2 Heat a little oil in the pan, add half the onions and fry for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the sugar and cook gently until the onions start to caramelise.

3 Add the carrots and celery and stir well for a minute or so. Return the meat to the pan, along with the Guinness and stock, and bring to the boil, stirring.

4 Add the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, then cover and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Half an hour before the end of the cooking time, add the remaining onions to the pan. Scatter with parsley and serve. I sometimes find I need to thicken with cornflour or a mashed potato etc... :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS