Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rangecookers  (Read 4754 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Rangecookers
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:41:38 pm »
Does anyone have a rangecooker, would you recommend it and which one is the best?

I have a newish kitchen, 5 yrs old, with a single oven which is actually about 20 yrs old (brand new but kept in the garage for 20 yrs) and it is pants. I really want 2 ovens and preferably a separate grill, but to get that I have to cut out part of my new kitchen worktop, so really have to be sure I want to go ahead. The gap I have would be 90cm which limits me slightly in the range of cooker as well, plus it has to be all electric.

Any recommendations?

((Have you seen the new Aga, Total Control. Have to say it's a lovely Aga and would meet my needs perfectly apart from 2 things. Its 8cm too wide, and £9000 too expensive!)) ;D ;D ;D

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Rangecookers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:00:27 pm »
If you have gas then Mercury are fabulous. British, too.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:25:51 am »
I have an all electric Rangemaster........I would definitely recommend it.  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:30:28 am »
Had a look at the Mercury cookers - they're lovely. I have ordered a brochure as we want a range cooker in our new kitchen next year. I have never heard of them before.

Thanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:45:21 am »
I have a Rangemaster Elan. Have had it for two years and its fantastic. Easy to clean. Gas hob and electric oven. Very robust.  :D
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:28:02 am »
Don't get a Cannon. I've got a Cannon Profesional it is rubbish, hasn't worked properly since we got it and Cannon can't fix it. I would get something else if 1 I could afford it and 2 there was something I liked that would fill the gap, most of the range cookers seem to be 90 or 110  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:46:07 am »
I have got the 110 Stoves, gas hob (Calor bottled) and 2 electric ovens/grill. Has also a slow oven in the bottom, really really great for mutton stew and curries. Only downside is that the wokburner is too powerful/difficult to regulate with bottled gas, so doesn't get used very much. 6 other burners though, I wouldn't be without it!

Also would recommend looking into bottled gas, you can still cook in the case of power cuts!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:17 am »
Same as JulieS i have an all electric rangemaster, 2 ovens, separate grill, warming plate & griddle and 4 solid rings.
Recommend cast iron cookware to use on it. From April to October we don't have any heating on and two hours of casseroling or baking on the rangemaster keeps the kitchen/family room warm, as it holds and radiates the residual heat wonderfully on those chilly spring/autumn days.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:12:36 am »
I have a kero stanley, don't get one, they are expensive and not worth the money.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:25 am »
We've got a Rangemaster Classic Induction 90, had it about 6 months now and it's great:

http://www.rangecookers.co.uk/rangemaster-classic-90-induction-product,1192.aspx

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:43 am »
We've got a Rangemaster Classic Induction 90, had it about 6 months now and it's great:

http://www.rangecookers.co.uk/rangemaster-classic-90-induction-product,1192.aspx
That's a beautiful range cooker  :) We have a new AEG non-range which is cr@# - cost enough  ::) but has so many things I hate.  I'm wondering if it's worth saving up my pennies for a range cooker like that.  It doesn't give dimensions for the ovens - can you get a big turkey in the main oven?  Do you use the baking oven?  The hob arrangement looks well thought out - on mine you have to reach over big pans at the front to get to one of the small rings behind it, and every time I lean over, the touch controls turn everything off, or worse turn on a ring without warning - set fire to my oven gloves that way  ;D
 Oooh I am tempted  :love:  What colour is yours Dan?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:33:49 am »
We have a cranberry coloured rangemaster like Dans. Its fab!! Xmas dinner see's me cooking for 13 people and its not trouble at all, there's loads of room inside and on top.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 12:24:05 pm »

It doesn't give dimensions for the ovens - can you get a big turkey in the main oven? 
Yes, it's a fair size. Not as big as the Smeg we had before, but big enough. We did the Xmas turkey in it this year no bother. It's got a door rack but anything bigger than a medium chicken needs to go on the main racks.

Do you use the baking oven?
We do (or Rosemary does mostly), and we try to keep it for baking only, or at least nothing that may spit.

Oooh I am tempted  :love:  What colour is yours Dan?
Cream and chrome:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »
 I NEED a green for envy smiley!!!!  I can now stand in the field nicely camouflaged.  They look wonderful.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »
We have the 110 Rangemaster Classic in Cream and gold. Its gas hob and electric ovens, it can be converted for bottled gas if necessary.

I love it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS