Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hate this storm!  (Read 4567 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
hate this storm!
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:41:50 pm »
another one and I still hate them! watching the polytunnel and the greenhouse - not that I could do anything if they blow other than count the losses  >:(
How long is this one going to last I wonder??? :&>

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: hate this storm!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:57 pm »
Here in Derbyshire, we have had high winds all weekend .,....yesterday, heavy rain joined in, and no better today.  I worry about the roof of my outbuilding, ever since it came off in a storm, went over the lane and into a neighbours garage roof and ruined her slates. 

yesterday, we were at an outdoor farmers market, and the stallholders were holding onto the bars of their tents to keep them from taking off - they were struggling to keep them down.

Its meant to be summer :)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:30 pm »
agree,
in south derbyshire no better.........
as we speak its absolutely pelting down...... poor lambs sitting under the garden chairs!
Mx
don't want to see the polytunnel!!!!!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »
I commented on another thread already but I am not happy with this gale and having to light a fire at this time of year :(

I've had loose ponies fighting, bale taking off and given I spent most of yesterday dismantling roof sheets and they're mostly bent, you can imagine the noise up there now even with some beams lying over them :o

The cats were aching to be out first thing but appear to have had a change of heart very rapidly, I think they've only left the building when I was out dealing with stuff outdoors and they're very quick to show me the way back in to put more wood on the fire ;)

Didn't the forecast say it would die down overnight?  I hope I heard that right..  and of course that the weather does what the forecasters think it's going to ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:22:01 pm »
seems to get worse just now, the whole house is shaking... :o :&>

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:01:37 pm »

While its bad (we had a snow shower just before) lets think ourselves lucky we dont live in the tornado belt of the US

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »
We nipped into Kinross for a few things 2 hours ago, ancient trees lying around the place and roads covered in leaves and branches :o……. Coming back up the glen to our house we had to do a 5 mile detour due to trees across the road only to be met by more trees on the other glen road where did it come from?… perhaps I should keep up with weather report's.Now back in the house were getting the full blast up here and just wondering what bit of the house is going to give!!……never ever experienced a storm like this and at the time of typing the roar of the wind is deafening and a tad alarming to be honest despite 3ft thick walls……Perhaps our renovation project is going to come early thanks to mother nature ::).
Stay safe all those experiencing similar ;)

Dave

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:27:30 pm »
going to put the 10 '' trampoline upside down now...we did have worse a few years back and it flew through the garden, landing a foot from my car! Don't need that again !! :&>

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 07:18:52 pm »
I almost got stuck under a falling tree earlier  :o
And I mean really ! If it hadn't been an emergency stop and super fast reverse when the branches caught the front of the bonnet myself, Rebecca and the vet students may not have been here to tell the tale - scary biscuits  :o :o :o
Hope no-one else has any close shaves, thinking of you all  :-*
Karen  :wave:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 10:45:15 pm »
Hope everyone is surviving the wind and no bad damage is being done. I noticed the shed the kids use a their field shelter has had the felt ripped off of it, but all else ok. Took me an hour and a half to get home though, for a 24 mile journey! Would have been longer had I ventured anywhere near the M9.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:41:12 pm »
We live in a very exposed area (very high up) and get a lot of high winds, but I am sure over the last couple of years, its getting worse, and more frequent.
I have been round the hen huts and sheds of whch we have numerous, checking roofs, doors, windows etc. to make sure the do not come loose with the big gusts of wind.  I have some broody hens sitting in rabbit hutches, so have wedged the front legs with large stones, hopefully stopping them falling over dislodging hen and eggs.

I am in a caravan, and every now and again a big gust shakes the van, and things fall out of cupboards.....If I think the van is moving towards the big drop at the end of the site, me and Charlie the cat will be out of here :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:35:39 am »
Phew that was a big one, although it's calming down now a bit.  Scary biscuits indeed HH  :o :o :o  I'm glad you're ok.  Our biggest willow split into 4 but it's not very big and the sheep are now eating it. We spent the afternoon working in the polytunnel, just in case things started to fly apart - not that we could have done anything.  The whole structure was moving and shuddering with each big gust, creaking and snapping - it's amazing how much they do move and how much the cover stretches and the hoops are deformed.  We have had worse a few times here in the past 16 years - I hate the big winds.  I hope everyone is ok and no-one has been injured or lost stock.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:19:32 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 09:14:35 am »
2 panes in the greenhouse roof gone, the polytunnel is still holding up although the door had been blown out. Could be worse, I suppose, I read of deaths on the roads. A tree fell over our road also just as the road was being used as a rat run after the Tay Bridge was closed. Lucky noone was under there.... :&>

Fi

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:51:11 am »
The wind has been truly awful and tragic with a number of deaths on the roads. Yesterday was the first day I have seen my ponies choose to stay in their shelter for the whole day and leave the grass to grow! Many properties are damaged by falling trees and branches and all the trains in and out of Aberdeen were cancelled with travellers being told to make their own arrangements.
To top it off flights are cancelled too due to the Icelandic ash cloud.
We have survived with no building damage but have lost a number of trees. There were also birds nests and young birds blown out of trees. Rather sad.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS