Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 orphaned lambs  (Read 3989 times)

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
2 orphaned lambs
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:56:20 pm »
Hi,
I am very new to all this having only had my sheep since August last year..........so this is my first lambing  ::)
We had a terrible tragedy tonight  I lost 2 of my Shetland ewes to a dog attack (not our dog ):'(
They both  had a single lambs, one is 3 weeks old and one 4 weeks old, I have brought them both in and they have both taken some bottled milk each, they are also having some hay and creap food. My question really is do I keep them inside ? or can they live out in a paddock with some ewes ??, I would assume we should keep them in a few days at least till they get used to a bottle  ??? ??? neither are used to being inside, they were born out etc.
Thanks in advance, any advise welcome  :)

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: 2 orphaned lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:45:40 pm »
I know the upset of dog attacks on sheep all too well. We have had repeated attacks from mostly stray dogs and was one of the reasons I sold most of our sheep. The final straw was losing one of the favourites heavily in lamb with twins. So you have my sympathy.
I would get your lambs used to the bottle first. Then they will come whenever you go in the same field. However I would want to be sure the attack wasn't going to happen again, as usually lambs are more vulnerable (particularly if they have no mother to protect them).

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:55:48 pm »
Thanks Hopewell for your reply  :)
You are right, so upsetting  :'(
At least I am sure it can't happen again, as it was a visiting dog so it's gone  ;)
Good to know though about letting them out once they are used to the bottle, they get shut away at night in the field anyway as we have a horrid fox to comes so nights, so they'll be shut in by 8.30 pm  :)

jaj

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »
Agree get them used to the bottle and that you are the new mum for milk, until weened, they are very vulnerable without a parent to at least try to protect them  - not only from dog but sly old fox and also for that extra warmth - the nights are still rather nippy!  I have collected enough chilled lambs - during sunny spring days - that have lost their mum over the the years - it doesnt take a lot for even a strong lamb to give up once they are cold.

If you are new to sheep its one thing no one tells you about, lambs DO get cold very quickly, and they then give up -if you don't have a thermometer - I find a finger in the mouth - if its cool or cold get it somewhere inside (bottom of the aga if you have one) - don't over heat ! heat lamp or hot water bottle, ( you can use a healthy fit lamb as a guide on the mouth temp if you are not sure).  .

good luck they are rewarding when lambing goes well and heartbreaking when you loose one

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:32 pm »
Thanks Hopewell for your reply  :)
You are right, so upsetting  :'(
At least I am sure it can't happen again, as it was a visiting dog so it's gone  ;)
Good to know though about letting them out once they are used to the bottle, they get shut away at night in the field anyway as we have a horrid fox to comes so nights, so they'll be shut in by 8.30 pm  :)

I am a dog breeder - that visitong dog has gone from YOUR area but he/she may wreak even worse havoc elsewhere - was the incident reported?  You would have been within your rights to shoot it, and I would not have blamed you.  Once a dog has started to chase sheep there are only three rememdies - restraining, retraining (an e-collar works) or euthanasia
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies, yes i was wondering today about how they manage outdoors without Mum's guidance and warmth. I think I will be treating them like the ponies and putting them out will be weather dependent too, at least till they are a bit older  ;)
I have had luck with 3 week old bottle feeding, he's doing well, takes about 250mls 4 times a day, he's only a wee shetland lamb, do you think that sounds ok ?, he's eating hay too, and a little creep feed.
My little 4 week old ewe is not so good on the bottle though  :-\, she more chews at the teat and puts it to the back and side of her mouth, so I have been quite hands on trying to get her positioned right, when the teat does sit straight in her mouth I still don't think she latches on right, more just lets the milk trickle in and swallow  ::), any tips or do we think this will come ?, she only talks 100-150mls a feed but does eat more hay and creep feed  :)
Re the dog............the irony is he was borrowed from our farmer friend to bark and guard against foxes, but for no apparent reason, while off his chain for his dinner and nightly walk, he just jumped the fence into the wee lambing paddock and before we could stop he he attcked and killed both sheep  :'(, he is now away back to his farm and we've notified the farmer. Thanks though for advise  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS