Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting rid of docks  (Read 32643 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
getting rid of docks
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »
I'm having to admit defeat and use chemicals to treat the docks in one field. It is going to be ploughed and reseeded later in the year. I wanted some advice on which herbicide to use. I normally try to follow organic principles but the problem is just too big. I can keep the horses, sheep and goats off the area but the hens are more of a problem. What works without being a problem for the beasties?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: getting rid of docks
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:45:18 pm »
I'd ask Garden Organic.  (HDRA as was.)  They once advised me on chemical controls (not for docks so probably not appropriate here) when manual methods failed to manage a weedy cobbled yard.  So they will offer advice in minimising environmental impact even if it's not organic.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:10:15 am »
We had the sheep penned in a small paddock while they were waiting to be sheared and they were eating the dock apparently without ill effect.  The horses won't touch it: I thought it was poisonous only in large quantities

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:35:37 am »
I think the worry was more eating sprayed docken.

I'd be interested in the answer too cos they're awful with us as well. People speak well of Pastor for effectiveness but badly of it for safety....? Just how unsafe is it for geese/goats/sheep?  :-\

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:10:32 am »
Since I took the sheep off the ponies' paddock, suddenly we have docks  :(

I have a recipe for an organic, non-selective herbicide. I've never used it but am planning to make some up and spot spray.

I found this in an old magazine. If you try it, remember it is non-selective i.e. it kills all plants. The good news is that it doesn’t persist on herbage or in the soil and residues are harmless.
•   4 litres of distilled vinegar
•   225g household salt
•   15ml detergent OR 1 litres of white or cider vinegar
•   120ml lemon juice concentrate OR juice of one lemon plus a teaspoon of salt.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:14:07 am »
I'd ask Garden Organic.  (HDRA as was.)  They once advised me on chemical controls (not for docks so probably not appropriate here) when manual methods failed to manage a weedy cobbled yard.  So they will offer advice in minimising environmental impact even if it's not organic.

Although I should maybe tell you the whole story...

We had an old cobbled stableyard outside the front door - absolutely beautiful.  The now ex-hubby liked to see the cobbles and not the weeds that grew among them.  We tried all the environmentally friendly ways (of which the best was my mum and a kneeler - kept her out of mischief all day and she enjoyed yerself no end - but you could clear a square metre in about half-an-hour : it just wasn't tenable as a summer-long solution, plus my mum lived 200 miles away  ;) :D)   Personally I rather liked all the little plants with their different leaves and flowers - a bit like an alpine garden!  

Anyway, I told all this to the helpful HDRA people, seeking a solution we hadn't tried yet.  Their first offering (which with hindsight turned out to have been good advice) was to leave the weeds where they were and change the husband!  
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59:54 am »
Many a true word is spoken in jest!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:12:13 am »
Their first offering (which with hindsight turned out to have been good advice) was to leave the weeds where they were and change the husband!  
Excellent  ;D

That recipe contining vinegar and salt is good for places you never want to grow plants, ie maybe between cobbles.  :) You can't use it where you will want to plant again since the salt will eentually make the soil unusable.
I'm currently using Roundup (glyphosate) very carefully........

Mel

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 09:27:42 pm »
Our neighbour to one side has the equestrian centre (for 20 years)and she advised and uses Grazon 90,this destroys everything but the grass itself,she said it was not cheap but lasted for a very long time.But seeing as we do not have horses,we did not buy anyone-though still have more docks than ever!-may let the piggies in later  ;) Our chooks run in this area though to cordon them off any time,we just use some spare electric fence.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:29:44 pm by leghorn »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »
Whatever you use, you will have to keep the animals off it afterwards. I've heard Grazon 5 is good but you need to keep the animals off it for much longer than the time stated on the product. And one spray won't get rid.

Also there will be dock seed aplenty just waiting for you to turn that soil over!

Best thing to get rid of docks is sheep. They love 'em.

Next best thing to sheep to get rid of docks is cutting. Mow the docks to extinction. Takes a few seasons but it works.

Do you really need to reseed? If you plough the field and reseed you will be multiplying the docks by many thousand, beside the dock seed you will be cultivating, they regrow from the smallest bit of chopped up root.

Roundup is a no no - kills everything - and the grass will go first.

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »
So will sheep eat docks???? We have also admited defeat, just yesterday sprayed our field with Relay -P , works brilliant it kills everything including nettles and the dreaded ragwort,( no matter how much you dig it out it still comes back, mainly because a ragwort seed can last 20 years in the ground)

we only have horses in the field that is really bad its practically a jungle in there, anyway back to my question if weve sprayed it now and no more and getting sheep end of august is that ok???? It says to keep stock out for 2 weeks but it'll be 2 months that we are leaving it????

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:24:47 pm »
Since I took the sheep off the ponies' paddock, suddenly we have docks  :(

I have a recipe for an organic, non-selective herbicide. I've never used it but am planning to make some up and spot spray.

I found this in an old magazine. If you try it, remember it is non-selective i.e. it kills all plants. The good news is that it doesn’t persist on herbage or in the soil and residues are harmless.
•   4 litres of distilled vinegar
•   225g household salt
•   15ml detergent OR 1 litres of white or cider vinegar
•   120ml lemon juice concentrate OR juice of one lemon plus a teaspoon of salt.

I might give this a try as well.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »
The salt persists in the soil and eventually prevents it growing grass or any other plants.

waterhouse

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 09:51:46 pm »
Just remember Grazon 90 is persistent so you can't use the horse poo except back on the same pasture.   It's on the label and the label is published on-line

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »
Please, please remember to let your local beekeepers know at least a day in advance if you are spraying so they can keep them in.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS