Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: long time lurker, first time posting  (Read 7171 times)

Antz

• Joined May 2011
Re: long time lurker, first time posting
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 06:51:00 pm »
Hi Hilarysmum. I have been very tempted with a couple of pigs, we have a paddock on a hill that gets covered in nettles which none of the present animals will touch, rendering the field useless over the summer. I think a couple of pigs would sort it out nicely and then when they are done I could put them on the menu.
 It's 90% fenced and even has its own shelter (a WWII sunken pill box) The only issue is It's right next to the pubs beer garden. Would there be any issues with noise or smell.
Thanks

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »
only if they were being fed on the beer ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:56 pm »
Hi Antz

I'm not far from you, nr Evesham, worcestershire  :)  welcome to TAS  :wave:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Antz

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 10:18:22 pm »
Yes, not far at all, I was in Pershore on Wednesday.
Robert you just gave me an idea 'kobe style' pork, must be able to charge a bit more for that.

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:06:14 pm »

Would there be any issues with noise or smell.
Thanks
If there is, complain to the landlord :)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:32 am »
Hi and welcome  :wave: from Sue in Worcestershire, also not too far from you I guess.  If you strim some of the nettles and leave them on the ground normally the animals enjoy eating them when they have wilted a bit, and nettles are very good for almost anything. (except bare legs and arms ::) )

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 03:19:53 pm »
Hello from me in Lanarkshire  :wave:

To answer the noise/smell question re. the pigs - if you're field isn't tiny they shouldn't smell badly. Pigs do have an 'aroma' about them (not an offensive one though;)), but normally only if they are in small, muddy areas - around third of an acre as a minimum for 2 should mean they are as smell free as possible. The only time your pigs will get really noisy is if you're taking too long to feed them  ;) The only issue I can possibly see would be if the folks in the beer garden had one too many and decided to feed your pigs some 'pub grub' - there's the potential for disease problems with that, but if the beer garden is fenced/walled and you put up some signs saying 'DON'T FEED THE PIGS'  :pig: it should be fine.
I would say, for the sake of avoiding problems and showing good manners, to pop in and mention to the landlord before you go ahead and get them - you never know, they might want to go halves on 2 weaners and have a hog roast bonfire party later in the year  ;) ;D
Look forward to updates  :wave:
Karen  :pig: :love: :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS