Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solar panels 2  (Read 15878 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: Solar panels 2
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 08:47:35 pm »

It's an interesting subject and one I'd like to take further - we have a south facing roof - but just don't have the cash.

Has any study been done on the long-term output stability of the PV panels? Does it drop-off as they age?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »
Yes they do degrade but a decent PV panel should have a guarentee of 20-25 years. The company will give you an average output expected over the 25 years.

If anyone is at the bath and west show on friday or saturday next week I will be in the eco bit on the solar slate stand pop along and say hi
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:20:54 pm by ellisr »

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 09:28:14 pm »
If we got a perfect day/ hour 12 to 1 on that day the panels would generate 2.9kw. When the sun goes in its zero cloudy some where in between. Here they started generating at 7 and stopped at about 7 so 12hrs  and generated 14.9kw so about 1.25kw per hour not bad as it was a little cloudy. The average was shooting up between 11 and 3
I am going to live the dream

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:41 pm »
I notice that most of you seem to be paying for solar panels ..is this because you do not have mains on stream?

there arre sevrral companies that will install them for free 9 beware of scams though 0 providing you have at least 5 sq mtrs of south facing roof .
 The finances of it all are to do with  the panels putting juice back into the grid at a higher price .. could this be of any use to some of your guys and gals ?

I can't have it because my roof of 40 sq mtrs each side runs north to south .. they are not interested in a garage that has  proper  regulation complying electricity to it roof at present that faces south  it has to be the main dwelling for some obscure reason.

just google free solar panels / free solar power etc and severla companied should come up   .. we found it attractive for  as I'm disabled medically retired and my lass is 13 1/2 yrs younger working from home on a PC the figures were in our favour by a fair margin.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »
no where on grid but the FITS make it worth while if you have got or can borrow the cost to have them put in
I am going to live the dream

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 04:18:01 pm »
these solar panes are amongst the things we are looking at for this year, so i have a question for someone who has had the fitted and who is receiving fits, are you going to get the income from them that you have been told to expect, what size system do you have and what drawbacks have you found after installation.
i have been told that the installation companies  have been instructed to give conservative quote on the returns so if that is the case what are the real returns
thanks kn

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 03:47:17 pm »
does anyone have practical experience with a company called "Electricity for free" from Glasgow?

http://www.electricityforfree.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=119

best quote and specs  even outshining Tesco's 20% off...

:&>

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »
they're certainly a lot less ugly that HUGE wind turbines all over the place!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »

now you tell me what you think of them, Laura  ;)
I don't mind one or 2 privately owned smaller ones, but they do have to be quiet, a huge design fault with wind turbines! nerve wrecking at times  ::) :&>

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 06:48:43 pm »

now you tell me what you think of them, Laura  ;)
I don't mind one or 2 privately owned smaller ones, but they do have to be quiet, a huge design fault with wind turbines! nerve wrecking at times  ::) :&>

yup...trying being on a half ton of scared horse when they suddenly decide to start birling round.......that's a whole new dimension in "nerve wracking"...trust me i know!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS