Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PTO system for quads?  (Read 10347 times)

Lyor van Vliet

• Joined May 2011
PTO system for quads?
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:14:11 pm »
Dear everyone,

My name is Lyor van Vliet and I am a dutch student industrial design engineering at the technical university in Delft (the Netherlands). For my final bachelor project I researched agricultural machines for quads. My previous research was about hay balers behind quads. The result was that there is more demand for a universal PTO (power take off) system for quads on which you can connect the already existing mini balers and other equipment (i.e.:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsFWtJHtvow&feature=player_embedded#at=13).

My question to you to verify this demand is:

Is there demand for a universal PTO (power take off) system for quads on which you can connect the already existing mini balers and other equipment

All your thoughts about this subject are also very welcome!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:36:57 pm by Lyor van Vliet »

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: PTO system for quads?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:25:33 pm »

Doubt it, the problem would be lack of weight with the actual quad, or so I would imagine.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:23:12 pm »
I suspect most quads would not have the power to run a baler. Also the cost of a quad, plus PTO conversion and a baler would be huge compared to purchasing an old tractor and conventional baler.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Lyor van Vliet

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:51 am »
@Crofter: You are right, most quads do not have the power to run a baler. The PTO system would be connected to the quad but is driven by another engine that would make it possible to run a baler or any other equipment. You are also right about the price, but can you imagine that some farmers already have a quad and there already are second hand mini balers available too that could be connected to the quad?

@Coley: Why would there be a lack of weight?

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:44 pm »

I find with my quad, if I put too much weight on the back I lose traction, I dont think there would be a demand, as as crofter suggests, you can get a second hand tractor much cheaper than one of these multi task quads yoiu are suggesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58:12 pm »
From 1949 into the early 50s, Land Rover Series 1s had the option of a pto, but there was little uptake, so it has been tried and not been successful.  I can see it being popular with a tiny minority of people with lots of money but not much practical sense.  The video shows a very poor crop of hay with light windrows and it looks as if the baler would be unable to manage to pick up a full-sized windrow.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:56:07 pm »
both your postings clearly state QUADS    now i have a quad and what you are asking about is unworkable on them       first there is no chance of fitting a PTO to a quad without massive modification            second to fit an additional engine would upset the balance of the quad especially over rough ground  and third the health and safety would have a field day (going by your videos)     you would also need a hydraulic pump to work the back door of the baler
downsizing big balers you would be infringing copyright and as fleecwife pointed out you will need a full range of equipment mower tedder rake and handling equipment  i really think you are trying to reinvent the wheel
your first posting shows a converted lawn tractor and your second video shows a mini tractor  now have you ever worked a conventional tractor and round baler not on the bowling greens portraid in your vids but real situations  hills side slopes etc then convert that to a quad scary
in short it is not just as simple as having a quad and buying additional equipment  without major alterations to the quad
invention is all about overcomming difficulty's as was the case when the first bale wrapper was invented
you are the design student why ask universally for ideas that you will claim the accolade for   just my opinion

Lyor van Vliet

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:56:05 am »
Thank you for your posts!

I think there is some confusion about the idea, I will try to explain. First of all the PTO system will not be placed on the quad because it will most probably ruin the balance. It will probably be pulled behind the quad on wheels with a separate engine and possibly a hydraulic pump which can be connected to existing (second hand possibly) mini hay balers, mowers etc. So in case you already have a quad, it will never be as expensive as buying a tractor with equipment. The PTO system will be the only product I will be designing, so I will not design a multi task quad or a full range of equipment (the existing equipment should fit on it). My target group is hobby- and horse farmers.

@Robert; I am aware that I am the student and I will not claim any accolade for these ideas, these forum post will be in my report in the appendix. I am nowhere near a professional farmer though, so I don't know the best of farming and the machines. I have to get ideas and information from somewhere though, why not ask the professionals?

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:33:27 am »
Hello,
Sorry L v V, but all this equipment is already available in America and Canada and is used by the Amish, Hutterite and Menanite communities for farm work with horses. I have seen some of this equipment myself at a demonstration of working horses at the agricultural school in Montmorillon in France. The item you are talking about is called a 'PTO cart' or 'power cart' They are available with a separate engine for heavier equipment or are ground driven for lighter work. Google Amish farm machinery. You could get some ideas from there.

Lyor van Vliet

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 11:21:00 am »
I can find it for horses, is it available for quads too? Haven't found any...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS