Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: walking boots  (Read 7527 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
walking boots
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:07:58 pm »
Hi all,

A while back I had a really good pair of Johnscliff walking boots that were comfortable, dry and lasted for years, despite long daily dog walks in all weathers. When they finally gave up I resolved to get exact replacements - only to find they didn't make them anymore  >:( .  So I got some other Johnscliff boots thinking they might be made to the same standard - but I was disappointed to find they had hollow heels which wore through in record time.

can anyone please recommend a make / type of boot that's hard-wearing & wearable in all weather? (but doesn't cost silly money).

Thx

mab

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: walking boots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »
I am a fan of hi tech I have had a few pairs for different things from light hiking shoes to waterproof snuggly comfy walking boots. I wear a pair of walking boots most days around the farm and they have not worn out in 10 years and I'll probably get another ten years out of them yet

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »
another Hi-Tech fan here!

warmer than my DMs, alternated them right through til about April, then just dockers, now into trainers all day, and wellies if its muddy to see to the animals.
In my job, you never know when a long walk or run through the fields might occur & I'm grateful for steel tos caps sometimes too!
Little Blue

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »

They're not walking boots but I virtually live in my pair of Hoggs workboots. They're leather, waterproof, cleated sole, double stitched, toe protection, with good ankle support. Cost about forty of your earth pounds.

I'd happily go up Foinaven in them.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:17:37 pm »
Thanks folks!

Well that's 2 votes for Hi-tech and one for hoggs workboots. I'll hold out to see if any more opinions come in but I've located some hi-techs on special offer on amazon so I may try them. Still looking into hoggs workboots (and wondering what a cleated sole is).

I do wonder if you have to pay above a certain price to get a good boot? I paid 45 for the Johncliff and feel rather cheated.

PS this is 100% off topic but your reference to Foinaven makes me suppose you must be near Durness Ambriel? - nice place! - a schoolfriend of mine used to live there - I visited him a couple of times up there, though he's moved to Inverness now.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:51:05 pm »
Still looking into hoggs workboots (and wondering what a cleated sole is).
It's just the sort of sole you get on a walking boot - the rugged, deeply cut pattern that's good for gripping rough ground.

PS this is 100% off topic but your reference to Foinaven makes me suppose you must be near Durness Ambriel? - nice place!
About 12 miles south of there, in Kinlochbervie.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:37 pm »
Brasher walking boots for off-farm walking (incl city), Hoggs for working (especially digging, I damaged the sole of my foot when digging in wellies) in the garden and otherwise its wellies for me, and a pair of ancient Clark sandals for really dry days (and resulting dirty feet!).

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:41:59 am »
I have a pair of Brashers at the moment, they are very good. Although read a test by 'Which magazine' that found Hi-tech to be the best in a test, beating some of the expensive brands like Scapa etc. I can't remember the model of Hi-tech though, they were about 90quid I think. Worth a google

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:26:05 pm »
Hi

karrimor make a good range of inexpensive boot, the event or skye are on offer round the £35 -£40 mark. Personally found that brashers are a quite quick wearing sole if on any abrasive surface. My KSBs have lasted 4 years and still going strong. Berghaus have a good range as well keep an eye out for last seasons styles on-line.  :wave:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »
Thanks guys,

Personally found that brashers are a quite quick wearing sole if on any abrasive surface.

Well I do a lot of road walking so that's good to know.

The Hi-techs still seem to be favorite, but I'd rather not pay £90 if I can avoid it  ;) I'm leaning towards a cheaper pair of Hitechs ATM, but think I need to do some more googling before I part with the dosh.

Berghaus have a good range as well keep an eye out for last seasons styles on-line.

Style? Whats that then??  ;D ;D

m

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 12:04:46 am »
None of us here is ever likely to be called an Imelda Marcos, eh?  Or..... are we?

So, I have :
  • best wellies - auctions and visiting other farms
  • usual wellies
  • spare (dry weather) wellies - not quite waterproof any more but not quite bad enough to throw out
  • riding boots
  • running shoes (2 pairs)
  • walking boots
  • several pairs of old walking boots still good enough for gardening etc
  • best going out (lace up) shoes - only wear if not going to another farm / auction etc
  • not best going out (lace up) shoes - wear if likely to end up at another farm / auction etc
  • black smart shoes for funerals
  • comfy smartish shoes for wearing with skirt
  • not so comfy smarter shoes for occasional dressing up events (weddings etc)
  • sandals
  • slip on / off mules
  • several pairs of slippers
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 12:54:28 am »
Sally,
Imelda Marcos here.
I am working in the US for 6 months and therefore don't have many pairs with me here, or so I thought. I have just had a count up and there is an assortment of boots, shoes and sandals amounting to 23 pairs plus some slippers.

At home I have well in excess of 100 pairs, many of them nice shoes for work. Well I guess when I give up work at the end of this stint I won't need most of them but will I be able to bring myself to part with them? If I am strong willed the charity shops should do well out of it.
from another Sally  ;D

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:09:30 am »
I have two pairs both of which I have had for five years. A four season Meindle pair and a pair of Asolo's. The Asolo's are lighter to wear and I have walked quite a few mountains in them.  ;)
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »
I just did a quick mental count and my shoe/boot box is as follows:

1 pr of Hoggs (that I live in)
1 pr green wellies
1 pr black boot/shoes for special occasions
1 pr black leather moto-X boots

Am I deprived?

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 10:06:59 pm »
I have 1 pair of boots the pair i live in and a pair of sandles that i had to buy for my hoilday a month ago as boots and a dress dont really go,on the plane my OH said you got them bl**dy boots on,i love them because they are so comfy,last year before xmas i broke my foot and they wanted to cut my boot off but i woudlnt let them painkillers and a quick pull rather than kill my boot!
I have had these boots about 12 months tread is as good as new,the description from the suppiler is
A fantastic new short work boot from the Mark Todd Collection. This practical pull on has a waxed nubuck leather upper, pig lether lining and cambrelle footbed. It also features a tough Gironde rubber sole as well as elastic side gussets. Ideal for everyday wear on the yard.
Please dont think this is a plug as its not i only tried them as i sell them in my small shop and i like to test what i sell but although these are sold to the horse market i think they are suitable for a wide range of use.
Should of said they are Mark Todd kiwi boots sell for around £40
Mab i know you are near me if you want to come and have a look at mine you are more than welcome would be nice to meet you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS